The Swiss Army Knife of Tractors

/ The Swiss Army Knife of Tractors #1  

Charlie_Iliff

Veteran Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1845, John Deere 2240, John Deere 950, John Deere 755, Jacobsen Turf Cat II
My son, Christmas Day, describing my PT to my daughter who had not yet seen it.

/ The Swiss Army Knife of Tractors #2  
What an apt description....can't imagine a better one!

/ The Swiss Army Knife of Tractors #3  
Charlie, as stated under separate cover, i have an addition for you guys that want a swiss army knife tractor. the receiver in the back can act as a way to take the CFO on trips in the back forties.

all you need is an old iron farm machinery seat and if you can find the attachment (spring like one leg flat iron, silghtly s-shaped) which you may have to manufacture or if you are lucky obtain with the seat. you need out 5-6 inches of square tubing to weld to that contraption and don't forget to drill the hole for the receiver pin.

if you really want to go fancy walkie talkies or even biker helmets with communication capabilities are very appropriate. can you see yourself talking sweat nothings to the CFO like: "if i would have such and such attachment i could make you a flower bed, with a drywall on the slope side and possibly a slate patio". "if i can add a 30" inch auger and a tree mover i would also plant two trees so you can rest in a hannock in the shade of the two trees ... would that not be nice, dear? can i call pt tomorrow, please .......

/ The Swiss Army Knife of Tractors #4  
Charlie, here is a site where you can buy these seats, but i think they are on the expensive side and you probably have one around the farm anyhow:

http://www.antiquemystique.com/castiron.htm

am still looking for a picture of the one leg/shock absorber type part that goes with the seat. no luck finding it so far.

/ The Swiss Army Knife of Tractors #5  
here is a picture of a seat etc, somewhat hiding behind the mowing device. but the brethren behind gave me a good idea, i am off to Lancaster county tomorrow (i deserve it, since i plowed snow all x-mas day afternoon into 11 am today). i know i will get the best suspension at my horse drawn equipment manufacturer in White Horse, PA.

http://www.p4a.com/itemsummary/55291.ht

/ The Swiss Army Knife of Tractors #6  
It sure is - except the list is longer

Hey Charlie - wanted to ask you - you have single turfs right? - is the unit 59 inchs to the outside of the tires? with 26x12x12 - and 116 inches long front tires to back of frame (not including the hitch)
could a different profile / offset wheel fit to make the unit 2-4 inchs narrower or would it interfere with the disc brakes
I think the brakes are the reason it is wider than the 1430 - I think the frames are the same width

Also - is the muffler integrated - any way to take a pipe out the side - bottom rear and up - could use a better muffler to quiet it down - also - do you think that the grass clogs are reason for the overheating problem in heavy mowing or does it need extra cooling capacity - is that possible

I checked out the thread on that - Sorry for all the questions - but I am trying to decide on the 1430 vs 1845 and I'm leaning to the 1430 - but a few things bother me - ie noise, less power / weight but I kind of like the 1430 lenght at 106 inchs

I just don't want to be caught under powered on the hills

edm

/ The Swiss Army Knife of Tractors #7  
hey charlie - where you been? - did you have much snow to plow?

/ The Swiss Army Knife of Tractors
Ed: No snow to plow this go round. Lot of office time cussing at computers.
I printed out your questions about dimensions and will put a tape on the machine late today or late tomorrow.

/ The Swiss Army Knife of Tractors #9  
Thanks Charlie - I'll talk to you later - I'm catching some football today

/ The Swiss Army Knife of Tractors
Ed:

<font color=blue>is the unit 59 inchs to the outside of the tires? with 26x12x12 - and 116 inches long front tires to back of frame </font color=blue>
YES

<font color=blue>could a different profile / offset wheel fit to make the unit 2-4 inchs narrower or would it interfere with the disc brakes </font color=blue>
You'd have to go with a narrower tire or a much taller rim. There is next to no clearance between the inner sidewalls and the brakes.

<font color=blue>is the muffler integrated - any way to take a pipe out the side - bottom rear and up - could use a better muffler to quiet it down </font color=blue>
I stared at that a lot and bought a pair of Pro Ears. It isn't integral, but space is limited. It blows out through the expanded metal cover. Any change would involve cutting a hole somewhere else and some tight plumbing, close to other things.

<font color=blue>do you think that the grass clogs are reason for the overheating problem in heavy mowing or does it need extra cooling capacity - is that possible?</font color=blue>
Grass/chaff clogs are the only problem. In 95 degree weather, it runs a bit hot on the gauge, but stable, even at full chat. There isn't a lot of reserve cooling capacity, but when the cooler itself is clear, it is completely stable. John Coxon and I have had pretty good results with insect screen pre-filters. If Power Trac doesn't devise a fix, next summer I'll have tighter screen all around and a centrifugal filter out back.
Terry Estep at Power Trac found that there is an agricultural model cooler for this model Deutz, but didn't have one in hand when I last talked to him. I don't know how it differs.

<font color=blue>I kind of like the 1430 length at 106 inches</font color=blue>
With my new carryall rack, mine is about four feet longer than that. I didn't hurt anything yet - of course I've only backed it into the shed once on Christmas Day.