The things that we do and why...

/ The things that we do and why... #41  
That plan might require a different taller ladder, but that also sounds risky. I beginning to think from what I've seen, cutting trees or tree parts from any ladder is a bad idea and or unsafe, but can be funny if no one gets hurt.

That reminds me, I forgot rule #1:

No video-taking [or honestly any other type of photography] or spectators while I'm working...

Not really kidding there, as I've seen so many jobs go wrong after the camera was turned on, or peeps came to watch, despite near-perfect previous performances of tasks repeated time and again when work was done without either.

I don't know if it's nerves or performance anxiety or what, but I think that it is more than likely more an issue of fate or karma, because I have seen it occur when the worker were clearly unaware that they were in the process of being recorded or watched.

Thomas

/ The things that we do and why...
"I forgot rule #1: No video-taking [or honestly any other type of photography] or spectators while I'm working..." <<I'm ok with cameras and an audience if I know what I'm doing, it's only when I don't know what I'm doing, then I get a brain cramp and fall off the ladder........

/ The things that we do and why... #43  
Ladders and chainsaws don't mix well, but then neither do circular saws and some people.

saw4.jpg saw3.jpg saw2.jpg saw1.jpg

Bruce

/ The things that we do and why... #45  
"I forgot rule #1: No video-taking [or honestly any other type of photography] or spectators while I'm working..." <<I'm ok with cameras and an audience if I know what I'm doing, it's only when I don't know what I'm doing, then I get a brain cramp and fall off the ladder........

I think that's what happens to me too, but in my case, the brain cramp comes from the spectating, and makes me forget what I knew I knew.

/ The things that we do and why... #46  
I don't mind ladders. I have several. They definitely serve their purpose in life. HOWEVER, getting on a ladder with chainsaw will never happen by this guy .... Ill watch videos of others because it's just funny to me.

I am not the safety police but I draw some lines on stupid.

I usually think to myself when cutting (even if the log is propped laying on the ground), if it's heavier than me will I get pinned : or if it tiny, will it whip back at me and smack me.

I loved watching those rotted videos...... Just watching them makes me cringe. It's almost like watching a horror movie but not knowing the outcome

/ The things that we do and why... #47  
Many years ago, I tried trimming yard shrubs with a circular saw. Although I avoided hurting myself, I did manage to cut the cord to the saw in half.
A couple of weeks ago, I took a chunk out of my jeans at about pocket height with a chainsaw while fleeing a shifting tree. I was a little surprised to have avoided gushing blood. This was one of the very few times I've operated the chainsaw without my safety pants. On the bright side, I didn't cut up my expensive safety pants!

Many years ago, I tried trimming yard shrubs with a circular saw. Although I avoided hurting myself, I did manage to cut the cord to the saw in half.<<I think I seen the Three Stooges do the same thing on TV......

A couple of weeks ago, I took a chunk out of my jeans at about pocket height with a chainsaw while fleeing a shifting tree. I was a little surprised to have avoided gushing blood. This was one of the very few times I've operated the chainsaw without my safety pants. On the bright side, I didn't cut up my expensive safety pants!
Yup, that's a little to close for comfort, probably comes under one of those lesson's learned and soon forgotten, just have to ware safety pants or be more careful with the chainsaw.

/ The things that we do and why... #50  
That plan might require a different taller ladder, but that also sounds risky. I beginning to think from what I've seen, cutting trees or tree parts from any ladder is a bad idea and or unsafe, but can be funny if no one gets hurt.
You have the right idea about tree work being dangerous from a ladder, I can't count the number of accidents and near misses I've seen thru the years with people trying to do tree work off of a ladder, a large percentage of them don't turn out well.