The tractor collecting thing...

/ The tractor collecting thing... #11  
I'm with Paul on this one, too. Do what makes you happy!

In my case, I have an old Ferguson and an old Oliver. I got them to use, and that's what I do with them. I work them pretty hard. I will eventually get more vintage tractors, and they will be used as they were originally meant to be used. My Oliver is all original, and looks good. My Fergie has been repainted, and I will repaint it soon also, but not to make it perfect, but to stop it from rusting.

Do what makes you enjoy them the most!

/ The tractor collecting thing...
I happened to live in CA just twenty miles from the guy who INVENTED the toilet paper filter, and I have had personal discussions with him. We ran them on a lot of our tractors and they would actually take the "black" out of the crankcase oil of the diesels after about three hours of running time. We changed the roll of t-paper when the oil began to get dark again. I still have one of the latest model filters here in my stock; all o-rings and a slick over-center latching ring on the container. Be aware that the toilet paper will screen out the additive package so these late model high-pressure engines might not be a good application. if you get below five microns a filter will strain out the additives. FLATHEADS? Man, that takes me back in time! Actually, I personally think that the LAST good year was '57, but what do I know? Heh heh.......Dave

/ The tractor collecting thing... #13  
<font color=red>I personally think that the LAST good year was '57, but what do I know?</font color=red>

57?? I wasn't eaven around for anouther 8 years!. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ The tractor collecting thing...
Heh heh heh..... 1965? Lessee.......we had a John Deere Model AW that was just two years older than I was and it was built in '41. When I was a kid, there were lots and lots of pre-war cars in daily service. That lasted up until about 1955. We had a '35 Ford pickup that we thought was still "current" since it was only twenty years old. heh heh heh... I still feel that way about my 1980 GM pickup, and it's twenty-two years old. We didn't have an electric start tractor until I wuz in high skool. The John Deeres were hand crank and all of our Cats were rope-start on the starting engines and then on to the diesel. Nothing had batteries; lights, but no batteries.

/ The tractor collecting thing... #15  
I must say that you should use your machine however you like. For the most part it is better for the machine too. I know several cases where a guy buys an old car or truck that was restored several years ago. It is in great shape etc. Only to sink a ton of money into new parts since the seals and bearings went dry.

Drive'em, use'em, love'em.