The Way Back Machine

/ The Way Back Machine #31  
Don't know my draft number, but on 05 May, 1969 I got my "Greetings! You are hereby ordered..." letter.
Enlisted in the Navy the following day...
Stayed in the Navy (active duty) until 1979...then 3-4 years of active Navy Reserve after that...
Don't regret a bit of it

/ The Way Back Machine #32  
My draft lottery number was 289. Who can say what common product of the time was known by that same number?
Also Cobra, Tiger and Griffith.
My draft number was 320

/ The Way Back Machine #33  
I don’t remember what my number was but in about 67 my college deferment expired. My number came up that indicated that I would be drafted. Went to the Air Force recruiter and signed up so that I could choose my job.

Went for my physical and I was rejected for bad hearing. Best result I had from my racing career starting in my teens.

Of course now if an atomic bomb went off 5 miles away I would be asking WHAT WAS THAT NOISE?

/ The Way Back Machine #34  
I don’t remember what my number was but in about 67 my college deferment expired. My number came up that indicated that I would be drafted. Went to the Air Force recruiter and signed up so that I could choose my job.

Went for my physical and I was rejected for bad hearing. Best result I had from my racing career starting in my teens.

Of course now if an atomic bomb went off 5 miles away I would be asking WHAT WAS THAT NOISE?
ironic....
i went in in 1967 with A+ hearing. left with a hearing disability...

/ The Way Back Machine #35  
I was the last year of the lottery, 1975, drew a 360 something. Not that it mattered by then.

A guy who went and joined the Navy had to be careful to get an MOS in writing.

My older brother graduated in 1968. His buddy Dewight, got a draft notice for the Marine Corps. Ended up in front of a judge for draft evasion. got asked if he was a conscientious objector. Dewight told him no, he just wasn’t going to be a Marine. Judge gave him 24-hours to show up with enlistment papers.

Joined the Navy, four year hitch. Time enough for two tours of south east Asia, as a Navy Corpsman. Didn’t make it back from the second one. When he was home, just before the second one, he told my Dad that he probably should have just gone in the Marines. The odds were better, and they got to have rifles.

/ The Way Back Machine #36  
So as I recall, the phone was ringing off the hook sometime before noon
on a day in February, 1972. I woke.
My head was pounding like the base drum in a parade.
I thought, oh crap, what is going on?
I was the only one home at my parents house and no one else was gonna get it.
"Hello" I said. My headhurt, my stomache was talking dirty to me and I had to pee.
"Ron, what was my number?" It was my friend Bob.
"What?" I said.
The room shifted a little under my feet and I tried to figure things out.
"What number did they draw for me?", He said.
It started to dawn on me.
The draft lottery was last night.
"I don't know." I said. "Hey I'll call you right back."
"No, I'll be right over" he said and hung up.

I started to sort things out.
We had heard about a draft lottery party for the night of the drawing.
The 1972 drawing was for those born in 1953. The drinking age was now 18
instead of 21. The drawing was on tv but it was not fast enough to keep up with
our alcohol intake. It was a blur. Guys were saying that they were going to the
Air Force recruiter in the morning. Guys were saying they'd go into the Navy instead.
Guys were thinking about Canada. Last night was not in clear focus for me.

I peed, brushed my teeth and grabbed a couple aspirin.
I got a large glass of coke and a handfull of Oreo cookies.
When you are 18 you can eat like that.
It was the age of gas allocation, wage and price controls, and
hippies and hard-hats.

Bob showed up with bloodshot eyes and a funny color to him.
We decided to get a paper.

We didn't know that the war was gonna wind down.

We found that we both had numbers that were not going to be reached.

That was 50 years ago.
I enlisted in September of '67, just shy of 55 years ago.

/ The Way Back Machine #37  
I just want someone to explain what 50k Americans died FOR in Vietnam, where the US Constitution gives the government the right to conscript citizens and force them to fight in another country’s civil war, and why we should ever again trust any president that says to our kids “You need to go and fight and die in a foreign land.”

The US would be a stronger, richer country if those 50k had stayed home, raised children and grandchildren and contributed for 5 or 6 more decades to making this country a better place.
The US had a propaganda streak going, that no country had ever voted for communism. Eisenhower double crossed Ho Chi Minh and blocked national elections because he didn't want to break the streak. The Vietnamese objected.

/ The Way Back Machine #38  
I just want someone to explain what 50k Americans died FOR in Vietnam, where the US Constitution gives the government the right to conscript citizens and force them to fight in another country’s civil war, and why we should ever again trust any president that says to our kids “You need to go and fight and die in a foreign land.”

The US would be a stronger, richer country if those 50k had stayed home, raised children and grandchildren and contributed for 5 or 6 more decades to making this country a better place.
I am 78 in a couple of weeks and, being British, will be forever grateful to those young Americans (and others of course) who gave their lives when I was just past a year old. Also those who died elsewhere in WW11 and those who lived to tell the tale.

All wars since then where the US has been involved create the same wonderment in me as Vietnam does to you. Why did your politicians decide to do it?

Same thing in the UK of course, why did Bliar lie to the UK people about ****** Hussein? What a mess that turned out to be.

/ The Way Back Machine #39  
Don't know my draft number, but on 05 May, 1969 I got my "Greetings! You are hereby ordered..." letter.
Enlisted in the Navy the following day...
Stayed in the Navy (active duty) until 1979...then 3-4 years of active Navy Reserve after that...
Don't regret a bit of it
For anyone who forgot their draft number, here is a link to that information. It's pretty simple to use.