Traction Theoretical traction question...

/ Theoretical traction question... #1  

teg

Tractor
s
just a game, Which tractor would win in a pulling contest, a L2501 with Ag/R1 tires or L3901 with R4 tires on Grass (or even gravel). Tractors weigh the same... On Pavement, yes, the L3901 would win.

What's your guess as to who would win?

/ Theoretical traction question... #2  
Whichever one R.J. Anderson is driving. :)

/ Theoretical traction question... #3  
The 2501 would win. That's my guess anyway. I have a tractor with R4s and one with R1s. The one with R4s will soon the tires and become immobilized. The one with R1s hasn't been stuck yet. Obviously they aren't the same size, so a side by side comparison doesn't work, but either one will spin the tires before running out of HP, so I don't see the HP advantage of the 3901 doing anything.

/ Theoretical traction question... #4  
All depends on if I were borrowing your tractor to pull with . If not mine I would run it like I stole it .

/ Theoretical traction question... #5  
   / Theoretical traction question... #7  
Assuming the hitch points were the same I'm going to say the one with ags on grass. On gravel I really don't know.

/ Theoretical traction question... #8  
All depends on if I were borrowing your tractor to pull with . If not mine I would run it like I stole it .
You must have a sad tractor if it can't take this kind of test. You're starting with a tight chain so you can't jerk and your rpms are governed well below dangerous levels. I don't want to chain up my truck in a tug a war, but the tractor wouldn't bother me a bit. It's doing what it was designed to do.

/ Theoretical traction question...
... On gravel I really don't know.
Around here, most gravel or dirt roads have less traction than grass (loose material on surface). I guess if you have gravel like concrete, HP would win over the traction. I don't know any compacted road like that...

/ Theoretical traction question... #10  
who is driving = difference. put a bozo on either one. and it will fail and be stuck and rolled over.
how wet is everything?
is this on a slope/hill or flat ground?
what is tire pressure in tires? both rears and fronts.
is there any front weight to keep the fronts down? example FEL or front weights.
can we rely on 4x4 /MFWD to be engaged?
how much tread on the tires? brand new, or nearing 75% to 50% or less than 50% tread left?

assuming best possible setup.
L3901
TractorData.com Kubota L391 tractor information
L2501
TractorData.com Kubota L251 tractor information

for dry conditions i would say L3901 with R4's for road to grass.

for wet/mudded/rut/slope/hill/turning sharper conditions and working the FEL and/or 3pt hitch R1's there be simply to many ugly areas were i would want the tires to sink in like R1's do, and find enough traction within the sloppy mess to keep on going. R4's would just end up spinning and sliding as they attempted to float across the ground.