Thermostat

/ Thermostat #1  

macdoesit

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mitsubishi MT 2801fd Loader
No thermostat in my Mitsubishi MT2801 4x4 diesel. Anyone have a part number, also what kind of coolant do I need.

/ Thermostat #2  
You do not really need one... maybe if it is hot enough where you are, but then you should be working early/late after the heat is off the fields.

Standard coolant suitable for your climate.

/ Thermostat #3  
Coolant makers typically specify to use a 50/50 mix for most vehicles. I heard somewhere that for diesels a 65/35 ratio (more AF) is often advised by techs. It might have something to do with wet liners, cavitation, or something they know that we consumers don't.

Thermostat exists to keep engine temps up for efficiency and clean burn. Bought my little Case/IH with one stuck open. Temp needle would barely reach 'warm' until I replaced it. (2nd day of operation) Man was that oil black when I changed it. (3rd day)

/ Thermostat #4  
Coolant makers typically specify to use a 50/50 mix for most vehicles. I heard somewhere that for diesels a 65/35 ratio (more AF) is often advised by techs. It might have something to do with wet liners, cavitation, or something they know that we consumers don't.

Thermostat exists to keep engine temps up for efficiency and clean burn. Bought my little Case/IH with one stuck open. Temp needle would barely reach 'warm' until I replaced it. (2nd day of operation) Man was that oil black when I changed it. (3rd day)
Most are concentrated, they fall into a few types: High Aluminum Systems, Asian-Euro import spec, American Domestic Spec, Above zero F, below zero , and a couple others.

Mitsubishi are industrial engines, you can use either import spec or american spec. Unless you get more benefits and live in a climate that does not deal with freeze-thaw, then you would use an Above Zero coolant which is more efficient at dumping heat.

/ Thermostat #5  
Use a 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol based antifreeze. Pure water carries heat away better than the glycol but the glycol extends the freezing and boiling limits. More glycol will give better freeze protection but at the cost of lower boiling point. Are you sure your tractor will even accept a thermostat? I ask because my Mitsubishi D2350 had no room for one. There appeared to be the typical place to put one but there was no physical space inside. I could have purchased an adapter to increase the size to accept a thermostat but decided against it. The tractor never had one so I was willing to let it go at that. If you feel you MUST have a thermostat check in with Valley Power.

/ Thermostat
Use a 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol based antifreeze. Pure water carries heat away better than the glycol but the glycol extends the freezing and boiling limits. More glycol will give better freeze protection but at the cost of lower boiling point. Are you sure your tractor will even accept a thermostat? I ask because my Mitsubishi D2350 had no room for one. There appeared to be the typical place to put one but there was no physical space inside. I could have purchased an adapter to increase the size to accept a thermostat but decided against it. The tractor never had one so I was willing to let it go at that. If you feel you MUST have a thermostat check in with Valley Power.
I have been reading, diesel engines should use G-05 coolant because of cavitation on cylinder liners. Have not taken apart to see iff it will accept a thermostat. Thank you.

/ Thermostat
Thanks for all the replies.