Thin white smoke from track loader with Perkins 854E-E34TA, what to do next?

/ Thin white smoke from track loader with Perkins 854E-E34TA, what to do next? #11  
I'd run some fuel fixer in it first and put it a little thicker than it says on the bottle. See if things clear up. Sometimes that is all it takes.

/ Thin white smoke from track loader with Perkins 854E-E34TA, what to do next? #12  
Rob - have you run this for any significant length of time since you have noticed the smoke? Does this machine have a DPF? I'm wondering if it needs a regen or its not getting hot enough to regen.

/ Thin white smoke from track loader with Perkins 854E-E34TA, what to do next?
I spoke with the shop this morning. The oil seals on the turbocharger were blown, so there was engine oil getting in and making a mess of everything. It's not clear why it happened yet. It was probably 15 F overnight the day I first saw the problem, but 15 F is not that cold. They may know more tomorrow.

/ Thin white smoke from track loader with Perkins 854E-E34TA, what to do next?
Sorry for the long delay in closing out this thread.

The issue was indeed with the oil seals on the turbocharger. When the turbo blew, it trashed various sensors and (more seriously) dumped oil into the diesel particulate filter. Replacing the turbocharger was just $$s but the real concern was the DPF, which is somewhere between very expensive and impossible to source. Fortunately, the shop (Southeastern Equipment in Brunswick OH) was able to take the DPF over to another shop that has an oven for baking the crud out of DPFs, and the bake-out process worked.

Getting everything fixed took a few months because of the need to source parts from Perkins in the UK, available technician time, etc but they got it all back together and it works fine. Nice folks and they did a great job on the repair, but hopefully I won't be seeing them again any time soon :)

I decided to go easy on the machine for a while to make sure it is working properly. I did some low-rpm work demolishing the remains of a derelict (rabbit? mink? ferret?) house that has been gradually sinking into the mire. I did a lot of the demo with a pallet fork and a bucket; not really the right tools for the job, but it's what I have.

I'll be glad to be rid of this structure; it had something like 200 wire cages wired up in rows, each maybe 12" x 12" x 18" with water bottle and a pellet feeder. I eat meat and don't have issues with wearing fur, but animals deserve better lives than that.

-Rob

demolition-large.jpg

/ Thin white smoke from track loader with Perkins 854E-E34TA, what to do next? #15  
Good to hear, glad It wasn’t a more serious problem.

Mike