Things to do at Watkins Glenn?

/ Things to do at Watkins Glenn? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Due to the family structure, no way my wife and I can go on vacation with each other the last couple of years.

This year, I'm taking my one boy up to Watkins Glenn in NY.

Can any locals give me tips on where to go once there?

Now, I use to live in Syracuse and Watertown, but that was close to 30 years ago. May go up to Watertown for a trip down the black and see if any old friends still guide there (probably not LOL), and I have a buddy in Onieda who I may visit, but this trip really isn't for me, but my 17 year old son.

Being in the Finger lake region, there has to be more to see. May even take pictures for my dad (which I know my son would think would be cool) of Sampson AFB where he went to basic as my understanding is Sampson is in that area now per a museum.

Just looking for tips.

/ Things to do at Watkins Glenn? #2  
The Museum of Glass in Corning, NY is generally well liked and close to the Glen.

/ Things to do at Watkins Glenn? #3  
Is Watkins Glen where there is car races? Jon

/ Things to do at Watkins Glenn? #4  
One of our favorite places to visit with lots to do and see.

Besides the Glen itself at the state park there are multiple waterfalls in the area. We like Buttermilk Falls with it's swimming area and Rainbow Falls is a nice short hike. Obviously there are the finger lakes with their wineries, but probably not of interest for a 17 year old.

As a kid the Corning factory fascinated me.

/ Things to do at Watkins Glenn? #5  
Letchworth state park is a neat place to hike and paddle.

/ Things to do at Watkins Glenn? #6  
Depends on what you like and how far you want to travel. Glenn Curtiss Museum, Letchworth, CMOG, hiking are all nearby. Adirondacks is great for camping, Boxing museum is now in Oneida, but it's not very big. Baseball hall of fame?

/ Things to do at Watkins Glenn? #7  
Well of course the basic hike in the glen itself (state park) is pretty dang cool. You could get out on Seneca lake on a rented boat. Nearby Letchworth state park is even referred to as "the grand canyon of the east" but most laugh at that description when they see it. Nonetheless, beautiful.

Outdoor adventure stuff at bristol mtn ski resort:

I suppose a 17 year old isn't into wine tasting. But there are loads of wineries.

/ Things to do at Watkins Glenn? #8  
Gonna be a drive from Watkins Glenn, but Niagara Falls is cool to see.

/ Things to do at Watkins Glenn?
Gonna be a drive from Watkins Glenn, but Niagara Falls is cool to see.
Didn't even think about that. Looks to be about a 2.5 hour drive. I think that would be worth doing just to see it.

It's been a cows age since I lived up there, isn't it the Throughway to get across on the interstate? I just remember something odd about NY on the interstates where they charge you a toll...

/ Things to do at Watkins Glenn?
I suppose a 17 year old isn't into wine tasting. But there are loads of wineries.
The irony is where we live at in NC, wineries are becoming bigger business and tourist attractions as well. That said, we don't have the finger lakes (or any "large lake" LOL), but talking with some guys in the wine business, apparently NC has better weather than NY for east coast wines. Even doing tours and B&B around here for the wineries.