Things to do at Watkins Glenn?

/ Things to do at Watkins Glenn? #11  
Didn't even think about that. Looks to be about a 2.5 hour drive. I think that would be worth doing just to see it.

It's been a cows age since I lived up there, isn't it the Throughway to get across on the interstate? I just remember something odd about NY on the interstates where they charge you a toll...
If you're driving up from NC.... then yeah it's worth the extra (long) day trip. Pretty sure I86 and I390 are free. I90 going across the middle/top of NY state is toll, I believe?

/ Things to do at Watkins Glenn?
If you're driving up from NC.... then yeah it's worth the extra (long) day trip. Pretty sure I86 and I390 are free. I90 going across the middle/top of NY state is toll, I believe?
Agreed about the drive time to the falls vs getting to the finger lakes from NC, which is why I'm glad crashz suggested it...

I-90 is what I remember driving from Syracuse to Rochester. Been a LONG time since I drove with mickey mouse boots in the winter time with carhart insulated bibs and a heavy winter coat driving a box truck. Don't miss it!

/ Things to do at Watkins Glenn? #13  
Up state NY is just a great place to visit since there are many, many places to see and lots to do. But NY is pretty large and you can spend a lot of time driving instead of enjoying.

Niagara Falls are spectacular and if you are in that part of the state so is the Thousand Island area with Boldt's castle, the Welland canal, etc. The Baseball Hall of Fame is well worth the time to visit, but it is two hours away in the opposite direction from Niagara from Watkins Glen.

If you do decide to go to Niagara bring your passport to enter Canada since IMO the falls are best viewed from that side.

/ Things to do at Watkins Glenn? #14  
The Thruway has changed since you were last here. The toll booths are no longer. It actually makes it easier for you to use, but it means that you'll drive on the road and have no idea how much it's costing you. You have to call a number and pay when you're done in the state. It's more than just I90. It's from just north of NYC to Albany, over to Buffalo, and down to PA. Only a few miles around Buffalo are free.

The Thruway has changed since you were last here. The toll booths are no longer. It actually makes it easier for you to use, but it means that you'll drive on the road and have no idea how much it's costing you. You have to call a number and pay when you're done in the state. It's more than just I90. It's from just north of NYC to Albany, over to Buffalo, and down to PA. Only a few miles around Buffalo are free.
Thank you for at least one reason for reminding me why I'll never move back;)

If you do decide to go to Niagara bring your passport to enter Canada since IMO the falls are best viewed from that side.
Guess the laws have changed. Use to go up to Canada all the time when I lived in Watertown. No passport, no Canada I guess, bummer.

Thousand islands may be off due to time. When my dad was stationed at Griffiss AFB, we use to go up there all the time for vacation when I was a kid. I only remember how beautiful it was.

/ Things to do at Watkins Glenn? #17  
If you think the tolls are bad in NY look up what it will cost you in PA without a E-Zpass on their toll roads.

I'm pretty sure in New York its 30% more but in PA its double or more so what would cost you $12 with a E-Zpass will cost $24+ without an E-Zpass.

If you are going to drive on any of the toll roads in the North East (NY, NJ, MA, PA, Maine,...) its well worth the effort to get an E-Zpass.

If you are going to drive on any of the toll roads in the North East (NY, NJ, MA, PA, Maine,...) its well worth the effort to get an E-Zpass.
I use to live on I-80, I-81 and I-79. The only time I can remember paying a toll was going from North of Harrisburg to Pittsburgh to visit relatives at the time.