Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #291  
I remember around 1980 or 1981 when I was stationed in Albuquerque, there was a mayoral election and one woman running had plans to install seat belts on motorcycles.

She lost.
Albuquerque must be one big place. We drove around it on our trip out west and it seemed like we'd never get past it. It's the only big city I remember from the trip. The other thing I remember from the drive is the high number of pickup trucks with passengers riding in the bed. I sometimes wonder how the seat belt laws affected that.

Last edited:
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #292  
And you can get them for horseback riding!
Inline-Image-800-x-400-2021-12-21T130647.170.png

They inflate in less than 10ms, and can provide additional neck support as well as chest and abdominal protection. Of course, it helps to wear a helmet as well...

All the best,

Peter

Attachments

• 50b8e07da3061.preview-699.jpg
    50b8e07da3061.preview-699.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 93
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #293  
@stuckmotor I love that cartoon. It is a personal favorite.

All the best, Peter

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #294  
I believe our county school system had a special class in a remote-ish building for pregnant girls at the ‘big’ HS. We had three high schools, two small rural ones (1-12) and the big school in the county seat. The PG girls went to town. Rarely saw them again. Or they made a quick trip to Atlanta. :( Or mostly got married quick. Abstinence was the rule of the day …. with teenager, and big cars back then with real back seats. Righttttt. :giggle:

Last edited:
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #296  
We call the E.P.A. emissions control system a fertilizer collector

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #297  
Albuquerque must be one big place. We drove around it on our trip out west and it seemed like we'd never get past it. It's the only big city I remember from the trip. The other thing I remember from the drive is the high number of pickup trucks with passengers riding in the bed. I sometimes wonder how the seat belt laws affected that.
Had to be a few decades ago now, but NC passed a law preventing children from riding in the bed of a truck, though if they have a seat belt, there is an adult with them, part of a parade, farm work, or an emergency, it is legal. However, to get that law passed, a couple of counties in Eastern NC were excluded. The representatives would only vote for the law if their counties did not have to comply.

When we lived in the city, there was an idiot father that would let his kids, and neighborhood kids, ride in the bed of his truck. The problem was not that they were in the bed but that he would let them sit on the rails. Sitting in the bed is not really that dangerous, and I did it quite a bit as a kid, but sitting on the bed rails is nuts.

Later,
Dan

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #298  
I believe our county school system had a special class in a remote-ish building for pregnant girls at the ‘big’ HS. We had three high schools, two small rural ones (1-12) and the big school in the county seat. The PG girls went to town. Rarely saw them again. Or they made a quick trip to Atlanta. :( Or mostly got married quick. Abstinence was the rule of the day …. with teenager, and big cars back then with real back seats. Righttttt. :giggle:
On the first day of seventh grade there was a girl in the class who'd been held back from the class ahead of us and possibly a class before that. She was taller than most of us and drop dead gorgeous. From the few glimpses I got of her she looked like a model. I was looking forward to feasting my eyes on her all year but it wasn't to be. On the second day, she slipped out the side door, drove to the next county with her boyfriend and got married. She was another beauty I never saw again.

Last edited:
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #299  
And you can get them for horseback riding!
Inline-Image-800-x-400-2021-12-21T130647.170.png

They inflate in less than 10ms, and can provide additional neck support as well as chest and abdominal protection. Of course, it helps to wear a helmet as well...

All the best,

Peter
a neighbor i know got one of these after he took a spill off of the horse and had multiple broken ribs, etc.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #300  
Had to be a few decades ago now, but NC passed a law preventing children from riding in the bed of a truck, though if they have a seat belt, there is an adult with them, part of a parade, farm work, or an emergency, it is legal. However, to get that law passed, a couple of counties in Eastern NC were excluded. The representatives would only vote for the law if their counties did not have to comply.

When we lived in the city, there was an idiot father that would let his kids, and neighborhood kids, ride in the bed of his truck. The problem was not that they were in the bed but that he would let them sit on the rails. Sitting in the bed is not really that dangerous, and I did it quite a bit as a kid, but sitting on the bed rails is nuts.

Later,
Dan
remember the old Subaru pickups with an actual seat permanently installed in bed of truck. Subaru brat as i recall

Status
Not open for further replies.