Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #321  
A hundred years ago Sears Roebuck catalog you could order morphine and syringes.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #322  
I remember at my "local" country school it used to be cool to wear a necklace with a rifle shell on it. Ideal to have a complete big shell with smooth primer. Probably get frowned on today for that. Hide around the back of the building and smoke a Camel. Play a game with pocket knives, get in stuck in your shoe sometimes. Learned to fight pretty good at the school too. Life lessons.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #323  
Can you still purchase striptease highball glasses or stripper pens?

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #324  
Is J. C. Whitney even in business any more? They used to sell fiberglass bodies that would turn a Volksbuggen into a flashy car. Scrounge a Porsche engine and transaxle, and you could really be unsafe at any speed.

RIP JC Whitney. I had many sets of crappy "off-road" lights from there. Almost bought a train horn too.
Sort of. Regurgitated and recycled ... now part of carparts.com ....

I haven't scrolled though it to see if they still have that weird stuff vibe.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #325  
50 years ago you could buy a gallon of gas with a quarter...you still can today if the quarter is pre '64'...(at current silver values a quarter is worth about $3.50)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I had an outstanding order with J.C. Whitney when they filed for BK...lost over $100 which was a chunk of change back then for someone working their way through school...
Before that they were a great place for jeep/Willys parts etc...

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #326  
Sort of. Regurgitated and recycled ... now part of carparts.com ....

I haven't scrolled though it to see if they still have that weird stuff vibe.
Wondering where they went to. They had a positively huge warehouse and distribution center on the south side of I 80 just west of Joliet, Illinois. Used to offer some pretty strange stuff too. Always had one of their catalogs on the top of the toilet tank in the bathroom for 'relaxing reading'.

I bought my genuine sheepskin seat covers from them and believe it or not, they are on my 3rd vehicle and still going strong.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #327  
Can you still purchase striptease highball glasses or stripper pens?
You can still get the 'Girlie' suicide knobs (steering wheel spinners) where the gal drops her top when you turn it. Available at most sleazy truckstops.

Have them on both my Kubota's.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #328  
In the seventies in Louisiana you could bring your guns, knives and bows to school where they had classes in weapon safety and proper handling.
I remember driving to HS with my shotgun sitting in the rack in my back truck window during bird seasons, and it was replaced by a rifle during deer and elk seasons. I have carried a pocket knife since grade school and still do. None of the guns or knives were considered unusual, and frequently we would go to the parking lot during lunch break to compare each other’s guns.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #329  
Albuquerque must be one big place. We drove around it on our trip out west and it seemed like we'd never get past it. It's the only big city I remember from the trip. The other thing I remember from the drive is the high number of pickup trucks with passengers riding in the bed. I sometimes wonder how the seat belt laws affected that.
Albuquerque (including unincorporated areas) is about 1 million population, so not really large in the sense of largest US cities. It’s about 10 miles east/west and 20 miles north/south, making it seem larger than it is because it’s situated in the Rio Grande valley so it’s long and narrow.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #330  
I wonder if in the next few years, people will be required to have home owner's insurance, with exculsions for wild fires and such. I mean you have to have it on your car and motorcycle all ready in my State. And they have lobbyists that work day and night, to get legislation in. Right now the insurance companies are just dropping policies left and right for owners: Meaning that they get no money. Right now they are selective of the areas, but at some point, they will want to recoup their losses here, and spread the loss out to include everyone, with some sort of law. I don't insure my boat, yet in some areas, this also became a requirement for attending a meeting.
Insurance companies should do risk rating of homes located in flammable forest locations and assign a high rate for properties where the owners haven’t reduced hazards by thinning trees and brush, and reduce rates for those who have reduced their hazards.

Status
Not open for further replies.