Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #1  

bullbreaker

Elite Member
Tractor
D Ranchers daughter'$

Over 50 years ago we ordered a baby gator from a comic book add . It came through USPS in a shoe box with holes poked on top of lid . We kept it as a pet in a shady part of house (outside) lol with a small pit , shade , small plants trees etc to make it feel at home .
When it got to big to handle a friend of ours who worked for Fish and Game relocated it for us . This was in south Fla .

Any of you's recall as a young boy ordering a baby gator in a box or something similar ? lol !

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #2  
everyone I ever saw was a caiman...everyone just thought they were gators...lot of old stories of people from NY visiting FL and taking them (caimans sold as alligators) home and ending up flushing them and the NY sewers were filled with giant gators...!

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #3  
I remember being able to order either S&W or Colt revolvers from ads in Sports Afield etc. magazines...ungodly cheap compared to today's prices...

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #4  
Army surplus jeeps for $40... I don't know the exact details but heard that what you got was a crate with a jeep in various states of disarray. Our high school shop teacher tried to organize some students to place an order and got into a bit of trouble.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #6  
everyone I ever saw was a caiman...everyone just thought they were gators...lot of old stories of people from NY visiting FL and taking them (caimans sold as alligators) home and ending up flushing them and the NY sewers were filled with giant gators...!
Long before the internet, I read somewhere that they were caimams, too.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #7  
You could buy ant farms complete with starter ants...
Apparently you still can. We always had the real thing digging mounds in the driveway so I could never see the point.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #8  
Army surplus jeeps for $40... I don't know the exact details but heard that what you got was a crate with a jeep in various states of disarray. Our high school shop teacher tried to organize some students to place an order and got into a bit of trouble.
I remember those ads. They sounded too good to be true.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #9  
Long before the internet, I read somewhere that they were caimams, too.
To those of us born and raised in FL it was a running joke on the tourists and snowbirds...

Brine shrimp was another one...only they were called "sea-monkeys"...!

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #10  
I remember being able to order stuff and never giving a second thought to where it was made because you knew it was made in the USA.
Every time I wanted to order something from the comic books my mom would tell me no that I stayed in too much trouble already.
Now I ask you how much trouble could a young boy and x-ray vision glasses get into.

Status
Not open for further replies.