Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #23  
Every time I asked my parents to let me buy that junk in the back of magazines, they said the reason it's mail order is because if you could actually see it first, then you wouldn't buy it. Finally my buddy and I scraped up $3 for a western style revolver "that fires real bullets". We were gonna hunt rabbits with it... The 6 weeks or so for delivery seemed endless.

Turned out, my parents were right. It was a plastic shell of a revolver with a steel tubing barrel liner. "Bullets" were tiny lead shot and the powder charge was a stick-on toy cap. IIRC, if you used multiple caps, the range was a foot or two.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #24  
My mother and I saved up enough Green Stamps, pasted them in a book and sent off for a HI-Standard ,22 caliber Ned Buntline "Special"revolver with a 9 1/2" barrel. I loved that gun and my Pa was a better shot with it than any man we knew using a rifle.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #25  
Sears Robucks had alot.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #26  
My mother and I saved up enough Green Stamps, pasted them in a book and sent off for a HI-Standard ,22 caliber Ned Buntline "Special"revolver with a 9 1/2" barrel. I loved that gun and my Pa was a better shot with it than any man we knew using a rifle.
I was thinking about S&H the other day, wondering if you could still redeem if you had some leftovers. I never realized what you could buy with them though... I believe that my mother put them toward house supplies.

Welcome to TBN, you made a great first post. 👍

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #27  

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #29  
S & H Green Stamps factoid: The family behind S&H funded Yale's rare book library. The panels are translucent onyx to reduce damaging light. The family wanted to use green onyx but architects discovered there wasn't enough green onyx in the world for the job.

Attachments

• C07936CA-7C87-4115-86B9-C8CA167C7EF9.jpeg
    C07936CA-7C87-4115-86B9-C8CA167C7EF9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #30  
Every time I asked my parents to let me buy that junk in the back of magazines, they said the reason it's mail order is because if you could actually see it first, then you wouldn't buy it.
Ain't that the truth! I ordered some stuff from one of those comic book ads, my parents didn't say anything figuring that this was a good lesson on "buyer beware". Don't remember what I ordered, but it was all crap. I do remember the name of the company, it was something like Honor House of Products or something similar.
Army surplus jeeps for $40... I don't know the exact details but heard that what you got was a crate with a jeep in various states of disarray.
I remember reading an article in Popular Mechanics or one of those magazines that even if you were able to get one of those surplus Jeeps running, they weren't road-legal. Don't recall all the details, but apparently they lacked even the minimal safety requirements of the day, and most states would not let you register them.

Status
Not open for further replies.