Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #121  
I remember ordering 110 volt arc welder complete with a carbon arc heat source from Popular Mechanics ad for like $19.99.
I wanted one of those welders but couldn't afford one. Were they worth the money?

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #122  
When ever you needed to do an emergency car exhaust pipe repair, you would buy a can of Foster's Beer and two hose clamps. :)

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #123  
100 years ago you could order an entire house from SEARS. :)
Not quite 100 years ago. Look at what you could order. Most importantly look at what the complete house cost. A half brick of two by four will cost almost that today. A lot of cities still have communities of the "Craftsman" houses that are lived in today.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #124  
I remember a friend of dad saying they could be useful welding like thin sheet metal. I read the carbon arc torch was good for heating frozen nuts. I returned it for a full refund. At the time $20 was 50% of my life's savings.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #125  
When ever you needed to do an emergency car exhaust pipe repair, you would buy a can of Foster's Beer and two hose clamps. :)
You must've been wealthy. I found the can on the side of the road and twisted bailing wire.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #126  
Dial 0 and ask the operator for anyone's number and she would ask you if you wanted her to dial it for you.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #127  
Does anyone do Postal Money Order Checks anymore? I use to love using these, cause it was a felony, if someone tried to scam you. So if something didn't seem just right, I'd ask for a Postal Money Order, sent through the USPS. It was a good filter.

I remember Traveler's Checks use to be a thing. :)

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #128  
Fifty years ago, if you got a gas station fill-up, you would get a gift. I remember the little dinosaur figures that Sinclair would give out. As an adult, I find this rather funny, as oil never came from dinosaurs. :)

Last edited:
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #129  
RIP JC Whitney. I had many sets of crappy "off-road" lights from there. Almost bought a train horn too.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #130  
Does anyone do Postal Money Order Checks anymore? I use to love using these, cause it was a felony, if someone tried to scam you. So if something didn't seem just right, I'd ask for a Postal Money Order, sent through the USPS. It was a good filter.

I remember Traveler's Checks use to be a thing. :)
I've used them when buying something from a "for sale" post in a forum (mostly vintage car stuff) or other purchases from strangers met online, partly for the reason you mention, and because most of the sellers would accept them. Never got around to setting up a Paypal account.

I think I still have a couple hundred $ in travelers checks somewhere leftover from a road trip I took in the 80s. Probably ought to try and find them...

Status
Not open for further replies.