Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #131  
Change from a dollar at McDonalds. I doubt anyone under 65 or so would get that reference to their vintage ad today.
I brought it up in another thread and nobody did. I had to post the old ad.
Of course, back then 10k/year was considered a decent wage...

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #133  
A 45 cent hamburger.......
Forty years ago, when I was in my early twenties, coming of age in Vegas, you could get a 12-inch hotdog, and a 12-ounce draft beer for 75-cents.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #135  
It has been almost fifty years since we could order a Chargex card!

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #136  
1658415032212.png

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #137  
Forty years ago, when I was in my early twenties, coming of age in Vegas, you could get a 12-inch hotdog, and a 12-ounce draft beer for 75-cents.
Forty years ago a 12 ounce beer was 25 cents during happy hour. Bar food like peanuts and popcorn was free as long as you bought beer. There are tiers of liquor licenses, and a tav gets breaks if they sell a lot of food. There was a place called Humpty's Dump that used to sell bag lunches for a buck. My favorite was a 2" thick ham sandwich with a giant dill pickle and 6 oz. of potato salad.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #139  
Does anyone do Postal Money Order Checks anymore? I use to love using these, cause it was a felony, if someone tried to scam you. So if something didn't seem just right, I'd ask for a Postal Money Order, sent through the USPS. It was a good filter.

I remember Traveler's Checks use to be a thing. :)
For international private sales, the International Postal Money Order will get you across the border without currency exchange fees. I think the max amount is $700.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #140  
Purchase a new car for $3500.00 loaded...
Of course that was over a third of the median income of $9000...
It was also junk from the factory, with a 12,000 mile warranty. Back then 100,000 miles was considered a milestone; in that time you would have changed the oil 30 times. Replaced the plugs, points, condenser, wires, distributer cap, and wires 9 times. At least a couple of batteries, and 5 sets of tires. Plus they rode like an 8N Ford.

Status
Not open for further replies.