Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #261  
If interested...Google"
"Aida lanterns" or "Petromax Lanterns"

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #262  
Never realized Tig tips are radio active...

It was standard practice to use the vertical belt sander in the shop.to shape.
That is why I mentioned it. Not a safe practice.

It is just the red/yellow thoriated TIG electrodes.

tig-tungsten-type-selection-chart.png

All the best,

Peter

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #263  
I remember weed in high school was $40 an ounce for Acapulco Gold or Maui Wowie. I couldn’t afford it so I didn’t partake.
$10.00 a ounce and $90.00 for a pound for me

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #265  
We used both Aida and Petromax fuel lamps for fishing (they are like high end Coleman lanterns)...they're all stainless and use a variety of fuels...kerosene, mineral spirits etc. etc...we always knew about the "mantels" being radioactive...
The fabric was treated with Thorium and Cesium salts when being made. Most of them were washed out in the process, but some would still remain in very small amounts able to be detected with a Geiger counter.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #266  
The fabric was treated with Thorium and Cesium salts when being made. Most of them were washed out in the process, but some would still remain in very small amounts able to be detected with a Geiger counter.
The manufacture of these rare earths, and the processing and disposal of the waste and tailings over the years produced an environmental nightmare. I was aware of this facility back in the 1970's, and at that time, rumors were that the environmental clean up costs would run several times what the profit for the life of the facility had been.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #267  
Fifty years ago, if you got a gas station fill-up, you would get a gift. I remember the little dinosaur figures that Sinclair would give out. As an adult, I find this rather funny, as oil never came from dinosaurs. :)
Found it!!! ( Mrs. found it ) I’ve had this for over 50 years. I remember having at least 3. They used to attack my toy soldiers. The green paint has worn off in some areas revealing what appears to be brass. It weighs nearly a pound.
1659900822740.jpeg

1659900881251.jpeg

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #268  
You may have somthing very special there, as the gifts we got from Sinclair were just wax. :)

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #270  
Status
Not open for further replies.