Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #401  
What people are told and how it all pans out are two different things given 50-70 year time frame. The thing that gave me more than a few nervous break downs was, that people let things go and then expect the younger generation to clean it all up, after them, following the new rules. If someone says UST, I still shutter. If someone says asbestos, I start to shake and get dizzy. If they say there is lead paint in a rental, I have nightmares of the costs to fix that. 50 years ago people did insane things, compared to our standards now.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #402  
I didn’t get the JC Whitney catalog in the 70’s but some other company. White? Very similar and bought stuff for bicycles and my Wiilys Jeep.
Warshawsky?

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #403  
50 years ago most all magazines had contests or the ability to write a letter as to how you solved something and then either get a cash reward or a free year's subscription. I would write down a dozen ideas, and send them, off. Some got published, I got a reward, and this was fun, way before electronic social media.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #406  
50 years ago most all magazines had contests or the ability to write a letter as to how you solved something and then either get a cash reward or a free year's subscription. I would write down a dozen ideas, and send them, off. Some got published, I got a reward, and this was fun, way before electronic social media.
Hopefully someone will find this as funny as I do now at 70!
As long as I can remember I loved taking things apart to see how they worked. One thing was my parents Westclox electric alarm clock. I was about 7 or 8.
I put it together and it worked, except I lost a wire nut. In a panic I found the box with company address, then got envelope, paper and stamp. I spotted a letter Dad got that looked professional so I used it as a guide and using Dad's typewriter I explained what happened and needed a wire nut, addressing letter to Westclox.
Using Dad's letter as a guide I put my name with Esquire after it!
I had no idea what esquire meant but it looked good so I used it even on return address.
I quickly got a small box from Westclox. Inside were a gross (144) of wire nuts!
I still have most of them, using some over the years.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #407  
fireworks,

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #408  
Hopefully someone will find this as funny as I do now at 70!
As long as I can remember I loved taking things apart to see how they worked. One thing was my parents Westclox electric alarm clock. I was about 7 or 8.
I put it together and it worked, except I lost a wire nut. In a panic I found the box with company address, then got envelope, paper and stamp. I spotted a letter Dad got that looked professional so I used it as a guide and using Dad's typewriter I explained what happened and needed a wire nut, addressing letter to Westclox.
Using Dad's letter as a guide I put my name with Esquire after it!
I had no idea what esquire meant but it looked good so I used it even on return address.
I quickly got a small box from Westclox. Inside were a gross (144) of wire nuts!
I still have most of them, using some over the years.
I took apart the folks alarm clock when I was about 4. Clock spring sprung forth, out of of it’s casing and wrapped around my arm. I started to try getting it off, but being stamped metal it had nasty sharp edges, and cut my arm. I decided it would be better to take the spanking, than get all cut up. Besides with the clock missing, and me injured I figured the folks would work out what I had done and what had happened. The folks were far more forgiving if you confessed, than if they had to catch you.

So, I found Dad, had him cut it off, took and took my spanking.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #409  
About twenty years ago, one of my 30 year old Dremil Motor tools stopped working. The flexible coupler from the motor to the driver head had failed. This was before everyone had a website. So I wrote a letter and asked for a replacement part COD. They sent out 4 replacements, postage paid, for free, and a Thank You note to ME for buying and using their product. :)

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #410  
What about "B" cell batteries?
Were they still made in the 70s (the title of the thread being things available 50 years ago)? I thought those become obsolete once transistor radios came along in the 50s.
fireworks,
??? Dunno where you live, but fireworks are a LOT easier to find today than they were 50 years ago, at least where I live. As I recall, only a handful of states (I think S. C. was one) allowed their sale. It was a big deal when someone was driving to/from Florida to pick some up on the way home.

Status
Not open for further replies.