Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now !

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #451  
I learned about them in my Russian language class 1955 Syracuse U. Small AF detachment off campus.
You're way ahead of me. I'm pretty sure I read about them in a trivia book.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #452  
Sure it was a cow? Well maybe an old spent dairy cow. o_O
That's where most bulk burger comes from. It would be tough steak, but it makes good burger. I had a friend who burgered a bull and I bought 50 lbs. It was ultra lean.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #453  
That's where most bulk burger comes from. It would be tough steak, but it makes good burger. I had a friend who burgered a bull and I bought 50 lbs. It was ultra lean.
When slaughtering a bull, the general recommendation is to remove all the fat that you can to avoid off flavors from the testosterone. I forget the name for bull fat, but I think it is called brown fat. The general recommendation is to mix in excess fat from a steer, especially as bull meat runs leaner generally.

We convert our guys to steers, so it isn't something that we have done.

All the best,

Peter

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #454  
We always called old bulls, baloney bulls. I assumed they went into baloney.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #455  
In the broiler chicken industry laying hens past their prime production days of about 65 weeks old are called spent hens. The meat winds up in a lot of processed foods and soups.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #456  
back in the 70's
local restaurant... 99 cent 2 eggs hashbrowns and 2pc toast
Denny's 24 hour 3.99 Grand Slam breakfast
Skippers Tuesday night all you can eat fish, chowder.
Local restaurant... Thursday night all you could eat turkey dinner
Local restaurant 9.99 Prime Rib dinner
Local restaurant Tuesday night 4.99 blueplate special including ice cream
couple different local restaurants 9.99 all you could eat smorgasbords
Olympia brewery, Rainier Brewery... Free beer samples after a tour. with free refills. got friendly with the lady bartender at the Rainier brewery and could skip the tours.:)

dont get me started on the fast food hamburger joints

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #457  
70's again...

$1.99 a car load drive in theater. If you parked in the back row you could watch the cows at the fence mooing at you
$0.99 a 6 pack of Rhinelander beer. First one was a bit tough to get down, the rest went down just fine.
Cases of most beer were 24 to a case. also around 4+ bucks as well

And the freedom to go out and have some fun. never feared staying out late or all night somewhere.

as high school kids we did drink ( dont judge) We gather on Friday and Saturday nights at a secluded beach having a fire, party and having fun. The local police would leave us alone if we misbehaved.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #458  
Our underage and teen beer-fests were usually on my granddad’s pond dam. We kept a 55 gallon drum there for the empties though I still see plenty in the woods to this day. Or in a cotton, watermelon or peanut field. Great times!

Legal drinking age was 18 here in the 70’s too.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #459  
Along the lines of Skipper's (who occasionally had an ayce fish and shrimp special) we had a pizza place called Izzy's that would have a pizza feed. For around $5 it included a trip through the salad bar and all the pizza you could eat off the pizza buffet.
We had one of each within a couple miles here; now I don't think there is one in the whole Salem area.

/ Things you could order over 50 years ago that you can't order now ! #460  
We used to order a take out pizza and take it down to the outside tables at the old Progress Brewery in OKC. They would give us a pitcher of free beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.