Things you will probably only do once

/ Things you will probably only do once #1  

monkeybreath

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 3410
In the category of things you hopefully will only do once --- After digging - over the past month - about 20 some post holes, today I dug a few more - but this time because of pure lack of attention, after digging a hole, and while trying to maneuver out of a tight area, I pulled the tractor forward before I lifted the PHD - now I have a wobbler auger- about 10 -15 degrees I guess - of a bend. Question: Anyone have an opinon whether it can it be straightened at a machine shop at a reasonable cost - or do I go out and buy a new 9" auger ? I am guessing the auger will cost between 120 to 150 but am not sure. Experience is the best teacher - you are never too old to think before you act.

/ Things you will probably only do once #2  
Have you tried putting the auger back in the hole and backing up?

Check the cost of a new one and then the hourly rate of a machine shop and then make a decision.

Egon

/ Things you will probably only do once #3  
I'd be tempted to drop a couple anchors in a concrete floor. The (detached) auger could be placed on blocks (high enough to allow a small hydraulic jack under the bend), and chained down at both ends. With a jack you would be less apt to go way too far very quickly. For that matter, the auger could be dropped part way into a hole and pulled via comealong..........................chim

/ Things you will probably only do once #4  
Refer to this bit of safety advice from the "Things I have learned.." thread.

Once was more than enough!

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( When Bush Hogging overhanging grass at pond edge, remember the edge of the bank may collapse. Tractors do not float well at all, and hot diesel engines operating at max RPM's have a serious adverse reaction when the air cleaner hits the water line. )</font>

/ Things you will probably only do once
Thanks to you all for the suggestions - I'll check with a machine shop first, just in case it will cost very little to straignten - and if that is too much, I will try a do it my self approach along the lines of the suggestions here before thinking about buying a new one. . . your ideas have given me another idea - a chain around both ends of the auger with a jack in the middle - the chain would go over the jack and hold it against the auger at the bend (the bow part of the bend) and then I would use the jack's force against the bend. . . it might not work but I'll give it a try. . .

/ Things you will probably only do once #6  
Ron : i would sugest a new auger. once anything is bent and u bend it back it is much stressed, and i doubt if u can get it back perfectly.

/ Things you will probably only do once #7  
Should be pretty simple to bend back, if you don't feel like doing yourself the machine shops around here would do it for a $20 or so - really simple for them to do & only has to be 99% perfect.

Bent things are weaker when you straighten them; but in this case, it will not affect the operation of your auger, as it doesn't normally get stress in this direction when in use. You twist the pipe, or pull on it, but it doesn't hardly ever get side-bending stresses.

--->Paul

/ Things you will probably only do once #8  
1) Recognize the mistake
2) Don't compound the mistake
3) Learn from the mistake

PS Like I should talk, ROPS into garage twice now, and counting.

/ Things you will probably only do once #9  
I am SO disappointed in the foregoing replies! How could you all miss the obvious solution? He needs to buy another shop tool! /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Press

/ Things you will probably only do once #10  
Mark,

That was a link to a webpage, not a link to an image. To get your link to work, replace the IMAGE tags with URL.

So, in the meantime, here is your link and photo:
12 Ton Hydraulic Press (Floor Model)

h2871.jpg