Thinking about a new pistol

/ Thinking about a new pistol #1  

turbo36

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD X739 AWS (3), 2016 Toolcat, JD 2038R
I've been looking at the Springfield Armory XDM in either the .40 S&W or 9mm with a 4.5" barrel as a CCW.

Any opinions or experiences with this brand?

/ Thinking about a new pistol #2  
Had the XDM .40 for awhile. Just never became a favorite, nothing wrong with it specifically. I like my Walther P99 better for a .40, and for carry a Walther PPS in .40. The XDM is just too big for carry to suit me. My absolute favorites are my Sig P228 and P220, but both are a little big for carry..and they are smaller than the XDM. Just my opinion, others may carry them just fine.

/ Thinking about a new pistol #3  
I have the 3" XD subcompact in .40 and don't have any complaints. The .40 subcompact has a noticeable kick compared to a 9mm in the same size and louder. I have a 4.5" Ruger P89 in 9mm and it seems too big as a CCW for me. The Ruger is much blockier and heavier. The Ruger will digest and shoot just about anything I can put in it and very reliable and can fire it all day. I haven't fired the XD .40 as much, probably due to the greater kick and bark. I probably should have stayed with a 9mm in the XD but my XY chromosome got the best of me.

I didn't know there was a XDM until your post. A few upgrades and changes but I still like the no specific safety lever on/off concept. Hewever, it still maintains the same 4-5 safety features as the XD.

/ Thinking about a new pistol #4  
I have never shot one but I have been told the XDM is a great pistol. I have handled one and it seems like a neat gun. I carry a Ruger P89 DC in 9mm myself. As radman1 mentioned the Ruger will feed/shoot anything with total reliablity. My son has a FN in 40. there is a bit of difference between shooting it and my 9mm. But it is pretty easily managable.

/ Thinking about a new pistol #5  
I struggled with the decision of waht pistol to purchase... finally came to the following conclusions... your values may differ from mine.

1) A CCW pistol must be with you at all times to be effective. Thus, size and weight is the most significant factor. Too heavy, too big, I will not carry all the time.

2) 9mm is the smallest caliber IMHO that has the slam needed.. and I hope to never need it.

3) Ammo must be sufficiently inexpensive to encourage practice, which promotes familarity, safety and accuracy... 9mm ammo is currently about $13 for a 50 count box. (but it is in extremely short supply and has been for several months because so many folks are increasingly taking responsibility for their own personal protection)

4) I did not want to have to make a complete wardrobe change, summer and winter, to achieve the concealment needs. Thus, front pocket carry in blue jeans with a ballistic fabric holster is a must for me.

5) A Kel-Tec PF9 is the smallest, lightest 9mm I could find. Around $300, disappears in the front pocket. I forget it is there. I easily qualified for CCL having shot it only 4 times before the class, thus accuracy is better than it needs to be. No FTF's or FTL's or FTE's so far using at least 4 different brands of ammo, two different shooters, numerous practice sessions. I find it simple and painless to shoot. Lifetime warranty on the pistol and the company has a superb record of completely taking care of any problem, should one arise.

Kel Tec

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!:D Good luck and be safe!

/ Thinking about a new pistol #6  
Turbo36,
I wish you the best of luck finding what you want. There are tons of options in both 9mm and .40 caliber out there. I advise going to a gunshop and looking around, handling each and maybe even shooting them if you have that option (or can rent one to shoot). A lot of ranges promote that policy.

Explore all your options and remember, if it's a PITA to conceal, odds are you won't tote it much. Purpose defeated...:(

While I own several makes, models and calibers of pistols, I carry a Ruger LCP in .380 in my pocket. If you see me out and about, you can bet it's in there. That's the key, just having something to protect yourself with. I keep a Glock 22 in my vehicle. It's always there. Like I said, that's the key...having access to "something" at all times when out and about. Not because you're looking for trouble, but because bad things can happen to good people!

Again, I wish you luck on your quest. It's actually a fun venture if you are into firearm-shopping. :) When you get it and before selling it in a yard sale, post up some pics for the fellas here.

Podunk

ps. There's a lot of wisdom in TexasJohn's post!