Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #21  
We still have that tractor and that power front end is still working fine.
Only JD 2 cyl with a "power frt end"' that I'm aware of is in Ohio & was custom built by Tim Sweeney. Tim also built a JD 60 crawler that actually will pull a plow.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-02 095133.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-02 095133.png
    66.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot 2022-01-02 095216.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-02 095216.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
   / Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #23  
Hydraulic Front Wheel Assist , HFWA was not an uncommon option.
It was not a very well thought of option as it provided a very limited front drive assist,
with a lot of problems. All of the US manufactures offered it on some models.
Oliver was one of the major adopters for a few years.

Sounds like a good idea and a poor design. Although I can see where it would always be limited use. Thinking about it, I doubt that the hydraulic drive would provide decent torque at tillage speeds. Which means that about the only use I can think of would to unstick a tractor that had gotten "nose down" in a bog or silage pit.

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #24  
Only JD 2 cyl with a "power frt end"' that I'm aware of is in Ohio & was custom built by Tim Sweeney. Tim also built a JD 60 crawler that actually will pull a plow.

Now that is a nice custom build. Thanks for posting.

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows #25  
Sounds like a good idea and a poor design. Although I can see where it would always be limited use. Thinking about it, I doubt that the hydraulic drive would provide decent torque at tillage speeds. Which means that about the only use I can think of would to unstick a tractor that had gotten "nose down" in a bog or silage pit.
Hfwd is great for dragging you into the mud then cutting out when you need it the most. In the right scenario on the fast speed it will throw the mud. Mine is now on limited use as it blows oil from the relief valve.

The best use is tillage on the slow speed just to help you out but you loose a gear. They really suck the power. Back in its early years mine was chained on all 4 pulling a chopper while being pulled itself or pulling the chopper tractor.

image.jpg

/ Thinking of 4020 for work and tractor shows
I got a chance this morning to go see the 4020's my friend owns. Sheet metal is pretty rough on both tractors and they are missing the hood badges. They both have the powershift trans. One tractor needs a pto clutch. Both tractors have loaders. I don't know if he would sell either one, I'll keep looking.