Thinning the Herd

/ Thinning the Herd #1  

richriddle

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330 with LA853 Loader, Yanmar YM276D with YFL1000 Loader, Yanmar YM276D, Yanmar YM147D, Case 1845C
It's time to thin the herd of a couple of tractors after being a traitor to Yanmar and purchasing a Kubota L4330 (If Yanmar only had an older 40HP+ USA model). Soon the YM147D and one copy of the YM276D (without the loader) will move to greener pastures.

Attachments

• Yanmar 147D.jpg
    Yanmar 147D.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 377
  • Right Side.png
    Right Side.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 181

I will perform the spring service and any repairs before selling the Yanmar....it's sort of a sad time but it's not justifiable to have four tractors.

Did any of you keep too many tractors too long?

/ Thinning the Herd #2  
I have owned a few pieces of equipment over the years. I dont think I will ever part with my yanmar. If I had three I would consider selling one.

I always regret selling a piece of equipment, even if its broken or not being used.There is a reason you see rusty old equipment sitting in the farmers yard.

/ Thinning the Herd #3  
... Soon the YM147D and one copy of the YM276D (without the loader) will move to greener pastures.

Yes. I bought a YM186D that was great for mowing under my orchard trees and tilling in tight spots. I already had the YM240 with loader and ROPS.

Then 3 years later I saw a local Craigslist ad, 'Tractor $1'. It was a YM186D with loader and Power Steering. Priced fairly in the ad text but I didn't really need it. Next day the text was $1k cheaper. I learned when I called him it included Yanmar box blade, manuals, new rear tires, new loader forks. I ran down and gave him all the cash I could round up to hold it, returned Monday, paid and picked it up. He said his work truck barfed its transmission and he was desperate to fix it, hence the price reduction. His poorly titled ad hadn't attracted any callers.

I put this in service. Power steering is great! I immediately sold the forks for $200, I already had some. But that first YM186D was a hard sell without a loader. I put it on CL several times with no rational offers. Trade a bunch of leftover siding? Swap for a treasured bicycle?? Truck it to central Nevada??? I came down to $2500 before my ad attracted a sincere buyer. That took a long time. I didn't need three tractors!

You are doing the right thing. Storing, protecting, keeping up maintenance of too many (and duplicative) tractors is a waste of your life. I hope you get a buyer sooner than my experience!

/ Thinning the Herd #4  
While the 147d's are great little tractors they're not real desirable because of low h.p. and almost impossible to fine attachments for them. I seen a few of them in last couple years in the $2k-3k-4k range with nothing more than a 3 point mower with some of them. Some looking like new too. Probably sad to see them go..!

/ Thinning the Herd
While the 147d's are great little tractors they're not real desirable because of low h.p. and almost impossible to fine attachments for them. I seen a few of them in last couple years in the $2k-3k-4k range with nothing more than a 3 point mower with some of them. Some looking like new too. Probably sad to see them go..!
I have turf and ag tires for the YM147D, a belly mower, a finish mower, and the snow blade. Yanmar made all the attachments for the YM147D.

Recently someone advertised a YM155D in fairly rough shape for about six weeks. He had a loader and had it listed for $9000 firm. It eventually sold. I thought that price was unrealistic, and I plan to be fair in pricing.

That said, the good thing about the YM147D is that it's set up to cut the grass at the farm right now. I don't need to sell it but don't really want three tractors; however, I am happy to keep it for lawn needs in the summer and pushing snow in the winter. The proceeds from the sale of the YM147D will go to purchase a larger finish mower for the Kubota and/or YM276D, so it will more or less even out in the wash. Either way works.

There will be no issues with selling the YM276D. It's the HP size of tractor many looking at the 25HP model sub-compact tractors like. It's also quite a bit bigger than the sub-compacts and looks like a "real" tractor.

/ Thinning the Herd #6  
It's time to thin the herd of a couple of tractors after being a traitor to Yanmar and purchasing a Kubota L4330 (If Yanmar only had an older 40HP+ USA model). Soon the YM147D and one copy of the YM276D (without the loader) will move to greener pastures.

Attachments

• Yanmar 147D.jpg
    Yanmar 147D.jpg
  • Right Side.png
    Right Side.png

I will perform the spring service and any repairs before selling the Yanmar....it's sort of a sad time but it's not justifiable to have four tractors.

In the non-US domestic YM machines, the YM3810 and YM4220 are great machines for being at the engine 40Hp rating. PTO is 38Hp and 42Hp respectively.

Both have the 3T84T engine. The ending T means TURBO. The IHI turbo is a very reliable one. Yes, the SAME 3T84 engine found in the YM330 and YM336 US domestic models with the added turbo.

It's the same Turbo also found on the YM4300 and the JD1050. These turbos sold 'new', sell for less than $300 complete, often with free shipping.

There are threads here where people have added the turbo to the non-turbo engines. Just be sure to do it on sleeved cylinder engines only.

/ Thinning the Herd
In the non-US domestic YM machines, the YM3810 and YM4220 are great machines for being at the engine 40Hp rating. PTO is 38Hp and 42Hp respectively.
Trying to find a YM4220 might be an adventure. Fredricks did not have one listed. Is the YM4220 the same "size" as the YM336D?

/ Thinning the Herd #8  

Attachments

• Yanmar 147D.jpg
    Yanmar 147D.jpg
  • Right Side.png
    Right Side.png

There is no such thing as too many tractors too long! That 147D is a sharp looker!

/ Thinning the Herd #9  
Trying to find a YM4220 might be an adventure. Fredricks did not have one listed. Is the YM4220 the same "size" as the YM336D?

You can find dozens of YM3810's here in the USA. Fredricks did UTDA restores on them.

The YM4220 at times does show up on those bigger Ag and Industrial machine websites.

Don't underestimate the YM3810 with the engine at 40Hp. PTO is 38Hp.

The YM3220 and YM4220 are on the same frame and share body panels. The -20 models are the plush, cream of the crop with loaded options over all the other family models. These two are in the same size as the YM336. Just check the dimensions on TD.

I did not offer up the YM4500. It's a rare bird of an engine being the 3T95. It's about 48Hp engine. If it had the 3T100, that engine would have more support globally in the Mitsubishi tractors and earth moving equipment.

/ Thinning the Herd #10  

Attachments

• Yanmar 147D.jpg
    Yanmar 147D.jpg
  • Right Side.png
    Right Side.png

Now is a good time to thin it out. Used tractor prices are going through the roof for several reasons.