Third cutting concerns

/ Third cutting concerns #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
We've had a weird year this year and I'm in a bit of a situation getting hay for my horses. For the last three years, I've had great sources that lasted a few loads, and then got out of the hay business. Then I find another supplier that's even better then the previous one, and they disappear on my after a few loads. Either I'm the curse of death for them, or my luck has just been really bad. Anyway, I'm out of hay and it's become very hard to find. Prices are all over the place too, junk for $50 a bale that I wont touch, to $125 a bale that I just bought, and might buy again, that is really nice hay. There are a few people advertising third cutting hay that they just baled for $85 a bale of clean fertilized coastal hay.

I'm in East Texas and we froze two weeks ago with temps in the 20's, which is before the hay was cut. Temps are back into the 50's and 60's during the day, but in the 40's at night. Is it possible that hay cut after the freeze will be good for feeding horses? My understanding is that once it freezes, or temps get into the 40's, the hay loses all it's protein and isn't any good anymore. Is this true?

I haven't looked at it yet, just been trying to arrange a time to go look at it and then buy it if it's good. I can smell good hay. I love that smell!!! I can also smell mold and see what rotten hay looks like, but I'm not sure if it's fresh, if I can tell if it will be good to feed to my horses or not. What should I look for?

Thank you.

/ Third cutting concerns #3  
I had a friend who said hay was the only business he knew where the grower, the cutter/baler, and the buyer all lost money. That might have to do with why you can't keep a good supplier. Good luck with your search.

/ Third cutting concerns #4  
I wish ya luck, but best way to have hay is have enough land to cut your self, or go in halves

They folks aroun here would love to get 125, it goes for 30 to 40 tops for round bales

/ Third cutting concerns
, it goes for 30 to 40 tops for round bales

I'm wondering if it's going to be worth the drive to go to where I can find it at that price?

/ Third cutting concerns #6  
I'm wondering if it's going to be worth the drive to go to where I can find it at that price?
Around here we sell good 1st cutting grass/alfalfa/clover mix 5x4 round bales for $30ish per bale. 2nd cutting is $40ish.

Aaron Z

/ Third cutting concerns #7  
Just looked at hayuse which is a hay broker in TX and they are up there but say they do have it. North Texas hay list first cutting a $5 each and second at $6 each, but all is reserved for regular customers.

This might be a better option. Contact a place in another state that has it (square bales). Pay a trucking company to haul a full truck load to you. If you get it reasonable enough, use what you need and sell the rest to other locals to offset cost, or go in with some to do it

Here is a place in OK
Hay

/ Third cutting concerns #8  
Our last cutting of the year be it the 3rd or 4th is usually shorter grass and therefore not stemmy which is what I have always found that horses like best, also don't be afraid of hay with a little native grass mixed in such as crabgrass, most horse people will turn their noses up at it but put a roll of all coastal and one with some crabgrass mix in the lot and see which roll they stay at, it won't be the coastal till the other roll is gone. Good luck. Charlie.

/ Third cutting concerns #9  
I had a friend who said hay was the only business he knew where the grower, the cutter/baler, and the buyer all lost money. That might have to do with why you can't keep a good supplier. Good luck with your search.

Ha ha ha . THAT'S FUNNY!

(- because there's some truth there)

/ Third cutting concerns
I found some in Canton for $85 a roll that's really nice and smells really good. I bought five rolls. I'm hoping that they will still have more next week when I can go get another five rolls. I really want at least 20 rolls to get through winter. Every day I'm trying to drive to work a different way with the hope that I'll see a sign that says that they have hay for sale. I've seen a few, but what they have is in really bad condition. Old and falling apart after sitting out in the weather for well over a year.

I'm also seeing people advertise out of state on Craigslist and FB that claim to have good quality hay, but also people here in my area that are selling hay that they said they got out of state that is so bad and full of burs that they refuse to feed it to their horses.