third spool available on mid mounted dual SCV

/ third spool available on mid mounted dual SCV #1  

mjncad

Tractor
A couple
I have a 2001 JD 4200, and while prowling around underneath it and looking at the shop manual, I see there is a third spool available on the mid mounted dual SCV that controls the loader. There are two plugs for the hydraulic lines and the clevis on the spool shaft to control it.

JD does not list any upgrade kits that I have found to use the third spool; so my question is has anyone done so on their 4200, 4300, or 4400? If so, what did you run into with the project? Was it worth it to you after you were done?

I was thinking this spool could be used to control a grapple, a snow-blower chute, or other loader mounted piece of equipment.

It's tight under there, and getting a lever to work the spool could be a problem. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

/ third spool available on mid mounted dual SCV #2  
The 4200,4300,ect. already have the valve as you have found, but you do not have the means to control it. JD sold a kit that included a handle that mounted on the right fender, a cable that goes from the valve to the handle, hard lines that plumbed the valve to the rear, a bracket and QD's.

The kit sold for about $250.00. You could check your dealer and see if they can find one, they also turn up on eBay occasionally.

I can post a picture and part # from JDParts later when get home if you need...but if you can, look in JDParts under "hydraulics" and you should find it. There is also lot's of info here on TBN if you do some searching.

/ third spool available on mid mounted dual SCV
KennyD:

Thanks, I'll look at the JDparts.com once again. I did get a Power Beyond and 4th & 5th SCV kit that I need to install.

If you do get a chance, I'd like to take you up on your offer of a picture and part/kit number.

Matt

/ third spool available on mid mounted dual SCV #4  
No problem...

I mis-led you a little though, look under "T" for Third SCV Kit Part # BM19694.

You will have to talk to a salesman though, not the parts counter because it's considered "whole goods"

Attachments

• 3rd SCV.gif
    3rd SCV.gif
    41 KB · Views: 339
kennyd said:
No problem...

I mis-led you a little though, look under "T" for Third SCV Kit Part # BM19694.

You will have to talk to a salesman though, not the parts counter because it's considered "whole goods"

Thanks for looking this up for me. I checked the 4th & 5th SCV kit instructions and one of the first things it says is to remove the third SCV if present, so it appears this kit will be of little use to me.

Now if I could just get the Quadrastat lever separately, I could run a third cable from the right fender to something of my choice. However, I was looking at the Deere online parts catalog, and they sell all the individual parts to the Quadrastat lever assembly....except the lever <GGRRRR>. The Quadrastat assembly is $100, which is a bit tough to swallow just to get a of piece sheet metal and have the rest sit in a pile collecting dust. I'll see if I can make my own lever to use with a third cable that I'll need to order.

The plastic fender cover has one slot in it, and the 4th & 5th SCV kit's instructions tell me to cut two more slots for the Quadrastat's levers. I checked Quadrastat's web site, and it confirmed what I thought that this particular set of controls was OEM specific to the 4200 - 4400 series of tractors.

Thanks again for your efforts and contributions to the forum.

Matt

/ third spool available on mid mounted dual SCV #6  
I would be real interested to see the installation instructions for the 4th/5th SCV valves. If they say to remove the 3rd SCV if installed, why would they then say to cut two more slots in the fender housing? Would that not leave a empty slot where the 3rd lever was? If it was there?
Looking at the parts for the 4th/5th kit, I do not understand where everything gets connected into. It looks like all the hoses connect into the new SCV valve block. I always thought that the 4th/5th kit pulled from the PB connections.
If that is the case it might be just an issue of the hard lines of the 3rd SCV having somewhere to mount.

JamesH said:
I would be real interested to see the installation instructions for the 4th/5th SCV valves. If they say to remove the 3rd SCV if installed, why would they then say to cut two more slots in the fender housing? Would that not leave a empty slot where the 3rd lever was? If it was there?
Looking at the parts for the 4th/5th kit, I do not understand where everything gets connected into. It looks like all the hoses connect into the new SCV valve block. I always thought that the 4th/5th kit pulled from the PB connections.
If that is the case it might be just an issue of the hard lines of the 3rd SCV having somewhere to mount.

I have a loose copy of the instructions somewhere, and if I find them I'll post them if you are interested. As for cutting the two extra slots, that is correct as they only had to make one mold for the fender cover instead of two, which saved them big bucks. The instructions clearly state the middle factory molded slot is unused with a 4th & 5th SCV. Yes, the 4th & 5th pull from the PB kit, and the PB kit is required to make the 4th & 5th operate. I ran into the same issue of trying to figure out where all the hydraulic tubes went based on the Deere parts diagram. The instructions are required to make sense of it.

If I can figure out a way to control the third spool of the mid mounted loader SCV, I'd like to use it to control a future loader mounted attachment (e.g. grapple, etc.).

/ third spool available on mid mounted dual SCV #8  
I see said the blind man.
That clears up a lot.
Do you retain the use of the PB ports when the 4th and 5th SCV are connected? Or do you have to unhook them to use the PB?
So the 4th and 5th SCV could be a 2 valve SCV with PB?
If you could find a alternate place to put a 3rd lever and and alternative location for the hard lines of the 3rd SCV kit I do not see why you would not be able to put one in.
I know that a couple of us recently got 3rd SCV kits off of Ebay. I have yet to find the time to install mine.
Fun stuff, keep us updated.

JamesH said:
I see said the blind man.
That clears up a lot.
Do you retain the use of the PB ports when the 4th and 5th SCV are connected? Or do you have to unhook them to use the PB?
So the 4th and 5th SCV could be a 2 valve SCV with PB?
If you could find a alternate place to put a 3rd lever and and alternative location for the hard lines of the 3rd SCV kit I do not see why you would not be able to put one in.
I know that a couple of us recently got 3rd SCV kits off of Ebay. I have yet to find the time to install mine.
Fun stuff, keep us updated.

I haven't installed mine yet either as obtaining it from the dealer has become a royal PITA, although I finally have the kit in my hot little hands. According to the instructions, I need to remove the left tire and fender. The fender doesn't concern me; but the wheel/tire does, especially since I generally work by myself. I need to make a wheel/tire jack attachment for my floor jack. I have a design in mind, it's just a matter of ordering parts. Also, I've been in touch with a gearhead friend who works on hot rods, and he says get a set of crowfoot wrenches, preferably the flare nut fitting type. The hydraulic kit uses larger wrenches than the average car's automatic tranny does, so I'm trying to track down a reasonably priced set, or better yet individually.

As for the PB part of your post. Since the PB is required for the 4th & 5th SCV kit, I suspect the PB is either used to power the SCV or is disconnected to power an implement (e.g. backhoe, log splitter). I'll have a better idea once I get the parts assembled on the tractor. I sure would like to add a third control lever since there is room for one.

As you said..."fun stuff."

/ third spool available on mid mounted dual SCV #10  
MJ, Don't sweat the wheels! Just jack the tractor up just enough hold the weight of the tractor, then remove the bolts-then just roll the wheel away. There is no need to lift the wheel using this method. Once the wheel is off, continue to jack the tractor up to the needed height and put a jack stand under it.