This could have been bad.

/ This could have been bad. #11  
I've got to believe there would have been some noise or noticeable vibration when you engaged the PTO as well. I've learned not to ignore that sort of stuff, no matter how minor it seems. Always find the source before moving on.

I agree. I always wear hearing protection when mowing or hogging. But, I take them off when starting up and first beginning.

I do worry about not hearing an issue once I have the hearing protection on - but I’d hope I’d feel something amiss before it’s too late.

MoKelly

/ This could have been bad. #12  
I've kicked up and shot out a bunch of stuff while mowing. Mostly at customer properties. The last was a stump that shot about 100ft towards the customers house last fall. Man, was I lucky!

Along road sides, I take it slow and stop mowing when I see cars or people. Not worth the risk of hurting anyone.

/ This could have been bad. #14  
I once read a bush/brush hog manual, in which they recommended a 300' distance away from all humans. Personally, I wouldn't use one any close to a building either.

I have seen my brush mower eject baseball bat sized wood fragments 100' or so. After seeing that, I wear a chainsaw face shield while mowing. My wife spots me while slope mowing, but she's never within 300' feet.

And, yes, I tighten blade bolts before every use, and at each refueling. I also regrease the bolt bushings at the same time which has dramatically extended the bolt/bushing/blade lifetime for me. I use an impact wrench both ways. I find the impact hammer to be more effective than a breaker bar at least for my mower.

My brush hog mower is in front, which I love for visibility and control reasons, but there is less metal between me and the mower than rear mounted brush hogs.

Stay safe out there.

All the best,

Peter

/ This could have been bad. #15  
Be sure to check if the cotter pin that holds the nut onto the threads is still on, if not be sure to replace it.

/ This could have been bad. #16  
I have lost plenty of blades, some quite large and often with mowers without chain guards. FWIW, NONE ever went far, most never beyond the footprint of the mower. Now, a softball sized stone, entirely different matter.

/ This could have been bad. #17  
I have lost plenty of blades, some quite large and often with mowers without chain guards. FWIW, NONE ever went far, most never beyond the footprint of the mower. Now, a softball sized stone, entirely different matter.

Again there’s a big difference in lawnmower blades and bushhog blades. A lawnmower is spinning in the center and there’s little if any chance of a blade going far. A bushhog blade is being spun around a disk and they have the potential to fly a long ways.

/ This could have been bad. #18  
I actually was thinking mostly of a three spindle bush hog that we had. At times we used cut up (Heavy) truck springs for blades.

/ This could have been bad. #19  
Mowers can be scary. I get irate at people who take off the deflector of their homeowner mowers, then blow grass out into the road. People laugh when I complain about getting hit by grass clippings while driving down the road; but it's what else that mower can kick out which is my concern.
And for those of us who ride motorcycles, grass clippings can be anything from scary to painful to deadly.

/ This could have been bad. #20