This is a snapshot of my property, how would you setup the house and barn?

/ This is a snapshot of my property, how would you setup the house and barn? #1  

ShowroomShine

Gold Member
Tractor
2019 Case IH 55A
9.01 ac total. Will be building a house with a 2 car garage, a 4 stall horse barn, fencing the lower part of the pasture, and would like to leave room for a shop at some point in time. The road is a stub out road from a subdivision. The land behind me is family land.

How would you setup the house on the property? Driveway from stub out road straight to the house/garage, then fence and barn to the right side of the property? The left side is higher than the right, the whole lot is on a slope down to the right side.

I know its hard to look at a picture and see what I'm talking about, just looking for some opinions.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 446
   / This is a snapshot of my property, how would you setup the house and barn? #2  
Nice place. I would center the house above the 04 in the parcel # to get a good view of the open area and trees to the back. Out building to the right.

/ This is a snapshot of my property, how would you setup the house and barn?
Nice place. I would center the house above the 04 in the parcel # to get a good view of the open area and trees to the back. Out building to the right.

House facing the subdivision or facing the pasture?

/ This is a snapshot of my property, how would you setup the house and barn? #4  
I would go with 45 degree angle. Get the best view.

/ This is a snapshot of my property, how would you setup the house and barn? #5  
I would delay a decision as long as reasonably possible. Have a good look from numerous points on the place. I do not like to be close to other people. It might not bother you to hear and see them, but that usually means they can see and hear you. As dave says, get the best view. I do not want to be looking at other houses, especially backyards. Do you like the sun to shine in the room where you eat breakfast, or would you prefer to have the afternoon/evening sun shine in the room that would be used then? You could maybe orientate the house to have both.

Can you get water and power to anywhere on the property or are there some problems/more expense with some parts? Make up as many other questions as you can think of and you will find you are gravitating to one particular spot and orientation with the horse barn and shop site settled too. Good luck. I would prefer not to have to do a new build again.

/ This is a snapshot of my property, how would you setup the house and barn? #6  
How far do you want to walk when you're in the barn looking for a tool etc..:
"Oh it must be in the garage" (walk) "Nope!"
"Oh they must be in the shop" (walk) "Nope"
"Oh maybe they really are in the barn and I just didn't see them the 1st time " (walk) "Nope"
"Wait a second I think I remember seeing them in the basement the other day!!"
- After finally finding them 4 hours and 27.2 miles of walking later I might actually be able to ....wait, why I was I looking for them again?? :confused3:

/ This is a snapshot of my property, how would you setup the house and barn? #7  
"Oh maybe they really are in the barn and I just didn't see them the 1st time " (walk) "Nope"
- After finally finding them 4 hours and 27.2 miles of walking later I might actually be able to ....wait, why I was I looking for them again?? :confused3:
This is so true it's not even funny.

/ This is a snapshot of my property, how would you setup the house and barn? #8  
Your house should be located, if possible, with the kitchen facing the East so you get the morning sun and the living room facing the West so you get the sunsets. Think about this as now you have the luxury of the layout. Also, I would not want to be too close to the neighbors nor locate the house in the center of the property but that is just me. Bob

/ This is a snapshot of my property, how would you setup the house and barn? #9  
#1 Keep your driveway in mind so you can share it between the house and outbuildings. #2 Make sure you know your property set-back requirements. #3 I think you want your house "high and dry". #4 Probably not a problem in VA but I made the mistake of having the garage on the north side of the house where ice on the driveway is slow to melt (too old to learn to skate). #5 Who will be your neighbors on either side? Sad but true that some people are "not nice" and that might be a factor to consider.

/ This is a snapshot of my property, how would you setup the house and barn? #10  

People pay money for a workout like that.:laughing: