Thor Is Having Problems

/ Thor Is Having Problems #1  

webbmeister

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TC25D
This problem happened first several weeks ago, again two weeks ago, and again today. Today was the worst - the previous two times the tractor did not shut down. Here's what's happening:

While on fairly level ground, and without the engine bogging in any way, the tractor loses power, the rpms die down and then fluctuate up and down, and then (today for the first time) the engine quits. After disengaging the transmission (placing in N) and the pto and restarting the engine, it struggles to keep enough rpms to stay alive, then picks up considerably, then fluctuates wildly again, eventually dropping rpms again until it dies. Letting it set for 15 minutes seems to give it the chance to do whatever it needs to do to run normally again.

The temperature is normal when this happens, rpms at about 2000, the air cleaner is very clean, and so is everything else under the hood. It has happened in 2nd and 1st range, both with the mower engaged and without. Thor has 20 hours.

Any ideas? I bought it from a distant dealer (and I have some things to share about that dealer - I'll save it for another post though), and it'll cost me $150 round trip to get it to the local dealer. If I can fix it myself, I'd rather.

Thanks,

Jim

/ Thor Is Having Problems #2  
Sounds sort of like a fuel supply problem. It could also be an electrical issue, but not likely. Try a few things:

1. Is the fuel tank full? (sounds basic, but if I had a dime...)
2. You can always install a sight tube in the fuel supply line to check for bubbles (should be clean and clear). Sight tubes are probably available from various places, but a Cat dealer should have them - for just this purpose. Be certain to check both the fuel supply and return line.
3. Can you drain the fuel tank? Given the newness of the machine, I have seen debris left in tanks that causes an intermittent restriction to the pickup tube.
4. Sometimes a quick change of the fuel filter might help.

Other than the above, you're going to get into major fuel system and electrical diagnostics... generally best left to the dealer. Do you have a closer dealer? If it is warranty work, it really should not matter where you bought it... Other than the relationship part of it all. Also, at this time of year most ag dealers are working pretty hard to keep the farmers in the field...

/ Thor Is Having Problems #3  
I've seen this type of problem from a very small amount of water in the fuel also. The water in the form of a small bubble on the bottom of the fuel tank may only be traveling to the fuel line on a downhill situation as described. This should easily be fixed by draining your tank and replacing your fuel filter, as mentioned by Steve in Ont., above.

/ Thor Is Having Problems #4  
The usual cause is a dirt fuel filter or as a previous poster said water in the fuel..also how are you storing and transporting your fuel? Are you using metal cans.. if so you may have introduced some rust from the cans into the fuel tank which is plugging the outlet on occasion. The elbow that goes into the bottom of the tank if I remember right has a built in screen that would plug if this is the case. Another problem that has occurred once in a while is the fuel cap vent plugs intermittantly.

/ Thor Is Having Problems
Thanks for all the replies. I'll drain the tank this weekend and change the fuel filter. I've purposely kept the tank full to avoid condensation, and the "can" I use is one of those yellow plastic 5 gal diesel Menards specials. I really have been almost psychotic about doing things right ... We'll see if something snuck in there in spite of my best efforts.

Thanks again,

Jim

/ Thor Is Having Problems #6  
Check-out how the fuel tank gets air as the fuel is used. Has the cap got a hole in it? Some have a plastic tube coming off the top of the tank that winds around and then goes vertical- is it open? If this is the problem it take awhile of running to show up and cracking the cap relieves the "vacumn". I had a JD F725 front mower and the plastic breather tube was misrouted at the factory and pinched shut between the frame and battery case at final assembly. I discovered it as I started to disassemble it to take the tank off for a cleaning. On older tractors mud and insect homesteading can clog the tube.

/ Thor Is Having Problems #7  
as I mentioned in my above post the tank is vented by the fuel cap