Those of you with TWO tractors, which ones?

/ Those of you with TWO tractors, which ones? #11  
As you know, I have many different pieces of equipment, but for utility tractors I started out with a 75HP 12,000lb 4x4. After 2 years, I found that for small jobs, it would simply be easier to have a smaller tractor. So I added my 32HP 5000lb 4x4 tractor for my smaller and clean up jobs. This has worked out very well for me, and while most of my place is pretty much wide open and the larger machine could have been used, it is just easier to use a smaller tractor for some things. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    130.2 KB · Views: 170
   / Those of you with TWO tractors, which ones? #12  
I started out with a 3032eDeere that bought to use around my dad's when I was living with him after getting out of the service. I was contracted to build a fence for person and found out real quick it was to small. I tried to move some quick Crete with the loader and about turned the tractor over. Then I bought a 5103 Deere with loader and fwa that's what I have now as my primary tractor. I bought a house on 5 acres and use it to mow pasture, put in a garden and cut firewood in the winter along with the occasional brush hogging job in the summer. My mom inherited 20 acres north of where I live and I'm taking care of it now and when she's gone I will get it . My second tractor is a 3610 ford 2 wheel drive with the same hp as the Deere but without a loader. I chose it because it's not as tall as the Deere and I can mow under the trees easier. Right now the Deere is at the farm as we call it and the ford is at my house. I have fence and bigger work there now that the Deere is better suited to with the loader and fwa. Once I get everything back up to par the Deere will be coming home and the ford will be going over there.

/ Those of you with TWO tractors, which ones? #13  
For my needs, The Bolens get's the most use. Allmost daily

The CUT get's the loader work, moving trees and logs, and runs the chipper shredder

The Fordson, which is a large but not overly powerful tractor sees duty only a few times per year. Moving a wet heavy snow, or moving a wet heavy maple stump ;-)

So, Yes, Having something light enough to scoot across the lawn is a great compliment to a FWD loader equipped tractor. I might rather have a smaller 45 HP utility tractor w loader, and also a 15-25 hp SCUT hydrostatic drive on turf tires for mowing, snow blowing, and pulling a utility trailer.

the attachments that need to fit the application.

/ Those of you with TWO tractors, which ones? #14  
Grand L3130 with backhoe and grapples for the heavy stuff, BX2230 for the landscaping and mowing spraying and bagging. G2160 for the tight mowing.

Also have a RTV1100 for dumping and hauling.

David

/ Those of you with TWO tractors, which ones? #15  
first all my equipment is used

First tractor I put lots of hours on was as a 16 year old doing field work with my dads Case 970 Agri king with power shift- and even today that is still the largest tractor I have operated but it and the Case 750 crawler / backhoe i learned on gave me an idea of size possibilities when 30 plus years later it became obvious we would need a tractor.

Bought the Ford 3000 with loader first and with loaded tires and chains it has done a lot of work, then got the 55 hp 4 wheel drive rhino and added a grapple to the rear remotes.

It has some advantages over the Ford, it is much heavier, more powerful and built stronger, also nice to have shade when brush cutting fields for hours. The ford won't run the 85 inch tiller either, doesn't have remotes and isn't 4 wheel drive.
The New Holland L778 skid steer will turn on a dime and is very maneuverable, but both of the tractors are my favorites By far.
Dislike the bouncy jerky ride and the incessant hydrostatic drive and gas engine noise.

Lately putting hours on the jd 550 dozer with rippers taking out stumps and some trees.
When pushing a dozer is hard to beat. Easy to Rough level the land with the tiltable blade ( I really like that feature) and then grappling the stumps with the rhino.

Have 2 running riding mowers for the fine mowing stuff and the one Hydro Honda that has been nothing but trouble...

Used to think i needed a small -under 30 hp cut - but other than in the barn for stall clean up ( and the skid steer or grappled rhino can do that work).
Have changed my mind and don't see to much Need for a 24-30 hp tractor when a 40-55 hp one will do the work- then again a 24-30 hp cut tractor could certainly be a Want type purchase someday, and pretty sure the grass would not be compacted so much when brush cutting.
Also would like a mini ex or possibly a TLB - say a Case 580.

1 or 2 tractors for everything?? I'm sure it is done.
Especially buying new with lots of accessories.

Think i am in the minority- but assuming these machines are not for commercial business use,
and there are several jobs to do
And you have some mechanical skills...and don't mind doing your own repair
more varied types , larger used equipment ( some times well used) makes sense, at least to me.

/ Those of you with TWO tractors, which ones? #16  
I have a 59 hp TLB, a skid steer, and a 130 hp tractor. If you do any type of tillage the compact tractors are lacking. Sure you can plow with small tractors but it takes forever. I have about 20 acres that I routinely plow and plant and I like being able to get after it with 15-20' wide implements. It could be done with a smaller tractor just would take a lot longer and often I don't have the time.

At the same time the 130hp tractor is big and clumsy. I don't use it for anything really except for plowing/planting as other tasks are much easier with the more nimble smaller tractor or skid steer.

/ Those of you with TWO tractors, which ones? #17  
I've got 7 acres and 1200 ft of lane which I feel my B3300 is about perfect size for. Lots of cleanup and landscaping so we have the BH77, rear snowblower and assorted grading implements for the lane. Did also have a 5' RFM when we first bought but traded it after the first season for a D140 lawnmower as too much time was spent switching between the BH and 3pt. I'd rather have an F series for mowing but the D140 is small enough that my wife is comfortable driving it. MUCH nicer being able to just hop on and now than having to swap implements around to do it. I am going to have to get a bush hog or flail mower as some of my areas a just a bit too rough for the lawnmower and it really doesn't like when the grass gets a bit long.

For this property, that's as close as I'm going to get to having 2 tractors. My next property will be larger and I'm hoping to add a LS XU5065 to the fleet for snow the heavier work. Not sure at that point if I'll keep the B3300 or downsize it to a BX.

/ Those of you with TWO tractors, which ones? #18  
My father-in-law has two tractors for his home.

One is a John Deere 955 with a loader, belly-mower for mowing around the house, rear blade for cleaning up the drive, and PTO generator. With decent capacity and a hydrostatic transmission, it's the perfect tractor for light work around the property.

The other is a Case JX95 (I'm not positive on the exact model, but it's a ~90 HP open-station Case). With forks and a loader that can lift over a ton to full height so it has no problem moving full racks of green firewood. The rear lift is stout enough to pick up entire trees for bucking to length. It's just about perfect doing firewood work. It cuts mowing time way down with the ~10' finish mower hanging off the back. It's also no slouch doing dirt work when we put the (big) bucket and backhoe on.

/ Those of you with TWO tractors, which ones? #19  
I have a 41 9n that stays at the house to pull a wagon and some grading and mowing .At the farm I have a mx5100 for the heavy work ( forks and bucket) and a ford 2000 for mowing and wagon pulling for everyday use . All three work on the hay cutting, baleing, rakeing.

/ Those of you with TWO tractors, which ones? #20  
My two:

John Deere 3320 compact tractor for working in the woods, maintaining driveway etc. Use it for loader work, pallet forks, backhoe, larger box blade, larger landscape rake, tiller.

John Deere X739 large garden tractor/mower, all wheel drive, all wheel steering, 3pt hitch, front blade, small box blade, small landscape rake. Used for lawn care and dirt work where I can't or don't want to take the larger tractor.