Thought Ibought a 2014 Mahindra found to be 2013

/ Thought Ibought a 2014 Mahindra found to be 2013 #1  

HamyJam

Tractor
Mahindra 3016 HST
Upset and not sure what to do? I just bought a Mahindra 3016 HST w/loader skc and brush guard. $20,939 financed by mahindra 60 months 0% . I was suspicious after delivery and looking over the tractor. Serial number has a 13 in it and found no 14 numbers anywhere on the tractor. Got a letter from finance to confirm numbers and sure enough listed as a 2013. I feel embarrassed and deceived. I asked the sales manager if they where all 2014's on the lot? He said yes. I am notifying Mahindra of the situation. Anyone else ever have this happen? I am not posting the dealers name at this time. Intend to call them tomorrow to give them a chance to explain.

/ Thought Ibought a 2014 Mahindra found to be 2013 #2  
I would not be concerned about the difference as the year of the tractor isn't a big deal. Most of us are concerned about the model of the tractor such as 3016, features and condition if used. If there are some new features available this year that you are not getting that would make it different.

/ Thought Ibought a 2014 Mahindra found to be 2013 #3  
I would be a little upset but the year of a tractor does not matter as much as what it does on a vehicle. I think in a lot of cases what ever year the tractor is sold is what the the dealer sells it as.

/ Thought Ibought a 2014 Mahindra found to be 2013 #4  
I would be a little upset but the year of a tractor does not matter as much as what it does on a vehicle. I think in a lot of cases what ever year the tractor is sold is what the the dealer sells it as.
I agree. If I had spoken with the salesperson and was told that I was getting a 2014, I would not be excited to get a 2013.
That said, the warranty doesn't start until the tractor is listed as "sold" by the dealer, so you don't lose anything on the warranty.

Aaron Z

/ Thought Ibought a 2014 Mahindra found to be 2013 #5  
OK, lets see if I can help.

Lets say you went down to a new car dealer in September 2013 and bought a new 2014 car. Was it built in 2014. Nope, it was built sometime probably in the summer of 2013. But your title says 2014 model on it, and it has features that distinguishes it from a 2013 car of the same make and model.. Some of these features may be only cosmetic, like taillights and grill, but it WILL be different.

Now on to tractors. It is not unusual for a tractor to set on a dealers lot for a year or even more. AND it may not have ANY distinguishing features from the previous year or even 2 or 3 years. Many times tractors have absolutely no changes from year to year. There is not exactly a title for tractors, of course there is a serial number and a build date usually encoded in that number. But tractors are considered the model year of the year they are placed into service, regardless of the build date. This happens a LOT. Now to compare the car you bought in late 2013 and consider a 2014 model year, because of these distinguishing features that make it a 2014 model, even though it was placed into service in 2013. Do you see where I am going with this? It does not matter when the build date was on tractors because they do not change. What matters is the "placed in service date"

Now after I have said all of that. Sometimes there are changes from year to year, and sometimes there are new features, or fixes for problems. An example would be the 2014 Tier 4 final compliance that new tractors are having to meet. BUT thousands of Tier 4 Interim tractors are still on dealers lots across the country, and must be sold. They will be sold at some point, and be considered 2014 machines. In fact many members are busy buying them up so they do NOT get a Tier 4 final machine so they don't have to deal with the extra equipment installed on them to meet Tier 4 final specs. Also because Tier 4 interim machines are somewhat cheaper than Tier 4 Final machines.

Where there specific changes in the machine on the lot you drove and the one that was delivered? If so, I would ask for the one on the lot. Or did you get the one you test drove? Do you Know? In other words are you missing out on something you believed you payed for? If not, than you are just like thousands of other owners here that have machines that were placed in service one year, and the build date was another year. Tractors are not like cars, no title, no license, no registration. I truly hope this helped explain this and I hope you obtain satisfaction one way or another.

/ Thought Ibought a 2014 Mahindra found to be 2013 #6  
I wouldn't rush to upgrade to a newer model year at the risk of getting more 'green' gadgetry (exhaust regen, etc) and I'd bet a lot of shoppers wish they were seeing Tier 4A ('interim') vs Tier 4 'final' machines on the lot lately with that in mind. Run time on a tractor and its maintenance history are what should matter to a potential buyer down the road, and after say ten years the exact year shouldn't be much of a selling point, as said.

btw: Among recent suggestions to deal with this sort of thing is to show polite indignation (hyperventilate for dramatic effect if helpful :mischievous:) and ask for a freebie on the 50 hr service as recompense. (half a grand or so with fluids/filters/labor?) If you can get more 'consideration', fine, but I'd shoot for at least that, 'just because'. :D

/ Thought Ibought a 2014 Mahindra found to be 2013 #7  
OK, lets see if I can help.

Lets say you went down to a new car dealer in September 2013 and bought a new 2014 car. Was it built in 2014. Nope, it was built sometime probably in the summer of 2013. But your title says 2014 model on it, and it has features that distinguishes it from a 2013 car of the same make and model.. Some of these features may be only cosmetic, like taillights and grill, but it WILL be different.

Now on to tractors. It is not unusual for a tractor to set on a dealers lot for a year or even more. AND it may not have ANY distinguishing features from the previous year or even 2 or 3 years. Many times tractors have absolutely no changes from year to year. There is not exactly a title for tractors, of course there is a serial number and a build date usually encoded in that number. But tractors are considered the model year of the year they are placed into service, regardless of the build date. This happens a LOT. Now to compare the car you bought in late 2013 and consider a 2014 model year, because of these distinguishing features that make it a 2014 model, even though it was placed into service in 2013. Do you see where I am going with this? It does not matter when the build date was on tractors because they do not change. What matters is the "placed in service date"

Now after I have said all of that. Sometimes there are changes from year to year, and sometimes there are new features, or fixes for problems. An example would be the 2014 Tier 4 final compliance that new tractors are having to meet. BUT thousands of Tier 4 Interim tractors are still on dealers lots across the country, and must be sold. They will be sold at some point, and be considered 2014 machines. In fact many members are busy buying them up so they do NOT get a Tier 4 final machine so they don't have to deal with the extra equipment installed on them to meet Tier 4 final specs. Also because Tier 4 interim machines are somewhat cheaper than Tier 4 Final machines.

Where there specific changes in the machine on the lot you drove and the one that was delivered? If so, I would ask for the one on the lot. Or did you get the one you test drove? Do you Know? In other words are you missing out on something you believed you payed for? If not, than you are just like thousands of other owners here that have machines that were placed in service one year, and the build date was another year. Tractors are not like cars, no title, no license, no registration. I truly hope this helped explain this and I hope you obtain satisfaction one way or another.

But the title for the car would saw 2014;)

/ Thought Ibought a 2014 Mahindra found to be 2013 #8  
There is no "Model Year” when it comes to tractors, simply "Models" that are manufactured from year xxxx to year zzzz. In my opinion a dealer should never tell a buyer that a tractor is model year whatever, because there isn't one. But they do. It would have been appropriate in the interest of full disclosure, to have been told the year the tractor was manufactured in case there have been some slight improvements, etc. If it was made in late 2013, I would not worry one bit. If it was early 2013, you have a little sun wear on your paint is about all.

For those that say the year of the tractor is the year it was sold, I have a 2014 Harry Ferguson TO-20 I will sell real cheap. Oh, in the interest of full disclosure, it was manufactured in 1952.

/ Thought Ibought a 2014 Mahindra found to be 2013 #9  
It kind of doesn't matter but f the dealer told me a 2014 I'd better be getting a 2014. I would make an issue of it with the dealer fast and in writing because in many states you have the right to return something within a specified period of time. He'll find a 204. Get a 2014 if that's what you want and that's what you paid for.

Again, it goes by model year as others have said but your dealer said, in an answer to a direct question, that it was a 2014. Seems slippery to me.

/ Thought Ibought a 2014 Mahindra found to be 2013 #10  
There is no "Model Year” when it comes to tractors, simply "Models" that are manufactured from year xxxx to year zzzz. In my opinion a dealer should never tell a buyer that a tractor is model year whatever, because there isn't one. But they do. It would have been appropriate in the interest of full disclosure, to have been told the year the tractor was manufactured in case there have been some slight improvements, etc. If it was made in late 2013, I would not worry one bit. If it was early 2013, you have a little sun wear on your paint is about all.

For those that say the year of the tractor is the year it was sold, I have a 2014 Harry Ferguson TO-20 I will sell real cheap. Oh, in the interest of full disclosure, it was manufactured in 1952.

Untill you try to trade it in, then the model year might pop up.