Thoughts on 02 F450 dump

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #101  
Rust , strike 1.
V10, strike 2
Unless I needed spare part for a good truck, I'd pass at 2k.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #102  
It would be a very useful Truck for not much money. I new one would likely be in low 80k. If you can keep it out of the weather, that will help preserve it longer. Clean it up, change all the fluids, check the brakes, hoses, etc, Then start using it. You can deal with the rusted parts when you have the time

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #103  
I wish more folks that are so against rust lived by me I could have a field day with all the rusted relics I'd acquire super cheap apparently. Lol, unfortunately apparently they don't live by me and therefore these rusted out used and abused dump trucks aren't inexpensive either.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #105  
Being a Ford fan and owning one, I would stay away from it completely. No 1 because it belonged to a municipality. Most of the people that drove it probably beat the heck out of it. No 2 because of the V10. It doesn't have that much power and they suck the gas. Around the farm you might get 4 mpg maybe 6. No 3 because of all the rust on it. One day you will open the door and it will fall off in your hand. You would be far better off buying something in better shape. This truck is a project truck. This is just my opinion and everyone has one.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #106  
I own an F-450 although in a completely different configuration (diesel, crew cab, 8 ft box) as I use mine as an RV tug. If you need tires a full replacement can cost up to $3000 on those 19.5 rims. And since they're 10 bolt rims you won't be swapping with much of anything else.

Also, the words salt spreader concern me. That means that the entire under-carriage frame and all have been exposed and possibly had salt collected in nooks and crannies where it's difficult to wash out. I'd have it put on a lift and be examined by someone that knows what to look for before dropping the dime on it.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #107  
I just did a full set of Goodyear G-662’s traction 19.5’s on my Ram 5500 for $2,200.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #108  
When I worked for a municipality we were always rinsing salt off the trucks when we weren't plowing more than I can say for a couple landscape commercial plowing companies I've seen in the city.

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #109  
Ok, here are my thoughts as someone that owned a 2000 SuperDuty for 20+ years (my son rolled it last year or I would still have it).
If maintained, that engine will live forever. It was based on the modular v8 that could easily go a half million miles. Frame is a pain in the butt if rotted but if frame is good and drivetrain it good the cab could be changed. I bought a parts truck with a rock solid cab for under $1000. I was going to use it for the frame to replace the rotted frame on mine.

It all depends on time and effort. For a farm truck I might just spray the heck out of it with Fluid film or NH Oil each year and forget about it.

If the rockers are that bad, the body mounts on the body side are going to be shot.

This is what mine looked like and my rockers were solid

/ Thoughts on 02 F450 dump #110  
You can buy used tires in decent shape if your not using the truck commercially at least that's what I found and did. Bought a hodge podge of 6 Firestone A/t transforce tires for less than two hundred bucks, if I remember correctly took the removed rims to the local tire/muffler shop got them mounted/ balanced for 5 bucks a piece over 10 yrs ago. Had to keep the 6 old tires though.