Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have
We have a similar Lakota trailer (15 foot sw, 12500 GVWR) with a hay rack. Water and hay for the horses can be a storage problem, Tack plus outside chairs/tables, grill add up too. All said and done I use a 3500 dually and wouldnt trade. Never measured pin weight but she sure does squat when the trailer is on. Airbags resolved that for me.
There are quite a few that show up at the camps we go to that have similar set ups using a 2500 so I guess it can be done.
Did you happen to notice if they were newer 2500 or not? I'm thinking this trailer would be pushing it using our current truck but the newer 2500s have higher ratings. Payloads on a 3500srw are 4300lbs and have tow ratings of 17k lbs. I'm thinking we will upgrade our truck first and wait another year before getting the trailer.

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #22  
Did you happen to notice if they were newer 2500 or not? I'm thinking this trailer would be pushing it using our current truck but the newer 2500s have higher ratings. Payloads on a 3500srw are 4300lbs and have tow ratings of 17k lbs. I'm thinking we will upgrade our truck first and wait another year before getting the trailer.
Well, thought I could find a picture or two from places we’ve been but they all have more people and horses than trucks and trailers or trailers without trucks :confused: I know Ive seen some older 7.3 PS but can’t prove it. Sometimes wish I would have gone the motor home and trailer route. Really kinda depends on where you plan to go also. MH and big LQ’s don’t do well in some places.

Another option,

Last edited:
   / Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have
Good news. The wife is on board for trading the truck in for a 3500 dually. We shall begin the hunt next week. I didn't want to ruin it by reminder her when we bought this 2015 new that we should've gotten a 3500 dually back then when I suggested it then..

Bad news, the new horse trailer will have to wait a few more years..

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #24  
So looking at newer trucks. The 2021 2500 have payload capability of 3965lbs and towing of 17100...maybe we can do that
I bet those numbers are somebody’s dream. Keep in mind they publish the max numbers. Look at the truck on the lot to see what the payload really is. You say a 2500 with a payload of 3965. A million bucks says that’s a regular cab gasser, 2 wheel drive with no options. Check the door jamb sticker of what your are buying, I can see you getting into 3000 pounds or more for a payload you’ll need.

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #25  
Glad to see you're getting a new truck! A dually would be the truck for that trailer! There well be more pin weight than you think. Lots of length from pin to axles on trailer.

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #26  
Being in the GVWR, and loading properly are not the only factors to consider in safely towing something.

When you are towing a very large trailer, if your truck doesn't weigh enough, it may not be able to resist all the forces cross winds, and turbulence can put on your trailer.

A one ton dually is preferred, because it has the weight, and additional road contact area to help resist those forces. Making it much more stable, and a whole lot more comfortable when conditions are not ideal.

A bigger truck is a good choice.

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #27  
Think I'd loose that truck and get a 1 ton dually. The day I spent 79 grand on a horsey trailer, I'd have a large lump on my head where the wife smacked me with a pot.

You obviously have more money than I do or less sense than I do, or maybe both.
So you have no expensive hobbies?

I’ve got more money in jeeps and ATVs than just the horse trailer, not even counting the horses.

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #28  
my Vet has a 4 horse living quarters trailer and was towing it with his F350 diesel. got sited for too small of a rig. he now has either a F450 or F550, i dont rightly recall, but man its a sweet truck. he was traveling between Idaho and Texas at the time.

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #29  
I will say that my wife raised Percheron draft horses and would show them and sell them and those nags are all very heavy. We had a tandem axle Moritz stock trailer (GN) and I pulled it all over God's creation with my F350 one ton diesel. Best thing she ever did was get out of the horsey business. Horses are like boats, a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into and horses are the same. I do like the 'gentle giants' they are very docile and easy to handle but we are done. Sold the Moritz and just sold the pickup truck.

I know one thing and that is, your outfit cannot pass a fuel station. Gas and diesel are going up, way up and soon.
So everybody should sell their horses and their trailers just because you think it’s not worth the money? I’m guessing we all have hobbies that cost a lot more than anyone would spend on just a hobby, but it’s only money, can make more tomorrow.

/ Thoughts on towing this with what we currently have #30  
So you have no expensive hobbies?

I’ve got more money in jeeps and ATVs than just the horse trailer, not even counting the horses.
Nope, other than sporting firearms and I have not bought any in a long time. At my age, my consuming hobby is staying alive.