Thread Heading

/ Thread Heading #21  
<font color="blue"> Mike, I can only think of one minor reason to correct a heading. For the search feature. Not many people will be looking for Tandby generators. </font>

Maybe if there was a way that the original poster of the thread could go back and edit their own spelling mistake within 12 hours? It's a good idea, but the only way it could work is if it changed the subject title on all of the subsequent replies too. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Thread Heading #22  
<font color="blue"> For the search feature. </font>
Yep, that'd be a definite benefit.

<font color="blue"> Not many people will be looking for Tandby generators. </font>
When you add in misspellings, abbreviations and TBNers who, for reasons past my ability to comprehend /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif , insist on typing in dialect, it's amazing that the Search feature can find any relevant messages. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hydraulic, hydrolic, hydrawlic, hydro ... just how many variations are there.

<font color="blue">( WELL DONE!!! FER ALL TBNER'S AND BETWEEN GATOR BOY ) - Who would guess that this is a valuable tutorial on water well pump installation? </font>
Fortunately, a Search for 'well pump' would find this. However, considering the volume of messages on TBN, many people not only limit the forums they look at, they also determine whether or not to read a thread based upon the Subject. I sure wish people would remember this when they post a message. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif One of the important services TBN provides is the sharing of information so we can (1) Learn from one another and (2) Serve as a searchable resource for new tractor owners as well as old timers who want to try something new, e.g., Henro and his research into Top-N-Tilt. If words are not spelled correctly and if Subject lines do not reflect the content of the thread, there will be nuggets of wisdom that will never benefit anyone. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Thread Heading #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( However, considering the volume of messages on TBN, many people not only limit the forums they look at, they also determine whether or not to read a thread based upon the Subject. I sure wish people would remember this when they post a message. )</font>

But gee, Mike. We wouldn't have any of the cutesy, catch-your-eye Subject Titles then! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

And before anyone gets P.O'ed, I'm guilty of doing it too! /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Thread Heading #24  
Mike is correct about the titles of threads.
Lately, I've really been overwelmed by the amount of valuable information on TBN. I can't possibly read it all, but I'm afraid I might miss something that I may need to know!
I'm sure there's other members out there who can't keep up with their TBN reading, so I'd like to offer a couple of tips to help this... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I don't mean any of this as criticisms on the way people post, but simply a way to help other members find your valuable information more quickly! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

First, try to narrow things down in the title of your thread.
In the "Buying/Pricing/Comparisons" forum, many of the subject lines say something like "Need Help". Possibly changing it to "Need help on Subcompact purchase" would narrow things down. If you are posting something in the Projects forum, don't used "New Project" as your title, but use something to describe the project, like "Spencer's New Pole Barn".

Second, if something will be beneficial to ALL tractor owners, please post it in one of the general forums! Mowing advice will serve everyone much better in the Owning/Operating forum. I rarely have time to read the John Deere forums, but I've found many things there that could apply to ALL tractor owners, and I would have missed it if I didn't read the John Deere forums!

Third, please don't post the same thing in two different forums at the same time. Many times this happens, and the discussion takes off in two totally different directions in two different places! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I get confused enough already in my day to day life! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TBN is a great community of people with similar interests, but it has gotten so big, it's hard to narrow things down, to the point where my wife says I spend too much time here. I've made many great friends here, including several in "real life"! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Keep the great posts coming! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Thread Heading #25  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( please don't post the same thing in two different forums at the same time )</font>

In fact, this is a no-no. If called to the attention of the moderators, duplicate posts will be removed. As you say, it only leads to confusion. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Thread Heading #26  
THANK U SO MUCH FOR THE COMPLIMENT POPSTER!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was smilin but a pat on the back is really good for everyone!!! one thing that i feel really good about is how we all for the most part are so incouraging to each other!!!!

about this string!!!..I hardly ever preview my posts /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif..maybe i should...but usually do a quick reread thru b4 posting!!!!
and then go check my post after posting!!!

I have accidentaly put the wrong attachments b4 and had ot edit!!!!
ONE THING U CAN DO IF U MAKE A MISTAKE!!!

AND have personally done it!!!no u cannot change the header!!!!......BUT U CAN DELETE THE POST/ thread!!!!....
and then start over...only way i've found to fix that solution ..but must b done b4 yer 12hr edit time is up!!!thats y i always!!! check apost after posting!!..especially ones with attach's!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BY THE WAY GUYS !!!!!GREAT THREAD!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AINT THIS PLACE AWESOME!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Thread Heading #27  
I miss the ability to change the thread heading of a NEW reply. The fact that every reply uses the same heading of the main post, only with "RE:" isn't very helpful when scanning a thread. In my opinion, every person replying should be required to enter a unique heading that contains the essence of their reply, and NOT be allowed to let the default say "RE: previous heading". With more descriptive headings, it would be much easier for me to scan the headings and decide whether or not to open up a post for further reading. Just my opinion, though!