Thread sealant for fireplace propane lighter

/ Thread sealant for fireplace propane lighter #1  

JRobyn

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L4330HST
I'm disassembling and cleaning my fireplace gas (propane) log lighter. It's mostly black iron pipe, but I think the "carburetor" (gas/air venturi) and the distribution pipe are stainless. The original threads are all ok, but very oxidized due to the high temps down in the coal bed where it lives.

What say you regarding something to lube/protect the threads? Sealing is not really critical since it is a VERY low pressure assembly. I've got regular Oatey's Great White PTFE paste, thin white teflon tape, and thick pink teflon tape. Is "gas rated" yellow teflon really a necessity since it won't be pressured?

I did search Google first - very little there! One fella asked the question, but never got a real answer.

And does anyone know how to keep these clean enough inside that they don't start to clog such that gas jets out of the carburetor air ports? I do orient it with the flame distribution holes down. and keep it up off the fireplace floor by about an inch.

IMG_0451 (768x1024).jpg

IMG_0452 (768x1024).jpg

/ Thread sealant for fireplace propane lighter #2  
I'm disassembling and cleaning my fireplace gas (propane) log lighter. It's mostly black iron pipe, but I think the "carburetor" (gas/air venturi) and the distribution pipe are stainless. The original threads are all ok, but very oxidized due to the high temps down in the coal bed where it lives.

What say you regarding something to lube/protect the threads? Sealing is not really critical since it is a VERY low pressure assembly. I've got regular Oatey's Great White PTFE paste, thin white teflon tape, and thick pink teflon tape. Is "gas rated" yellow teflon really a necessity since it won't be pressured?

I did search Google first - very little there! One fella asked the question, but never got a real answer.

And does anyone know how to keep these clean enough inside that they don't start to clog such that gas jets out of the carburetor air ports? I do orient it with the flame distribution holes down. and keep it up off the fireplace floor by about an inch.

View attachment 490981

View attachment 490982

The paste is good for gas and pretty much everything else. It's all I use for almost anything needing thread seal. I quit using tape years ago.

/ Thread sealant for fireplace propane lighter #3  
Is this for a gas log fireplace or a wood stove? If it's a wood stove I'd come up with a simpler device. Here's mine. It's essentially a brass valve that screws onto a bottle with a piece of steel line on it.

image-3215205855.jpg

/ Thread sealant for fireplace propane lighter
A propane log lighter in a fireplace.

Oatey's it is.

/ Thread sealant for fireplace propane lighter #5  
Probably too late for OP but a few tips for anyone else-

We are assuming you have a log lighter valve and the proper regulator on the assembly and or house.

Their shouldn't be a Venturi in the log lighter- just a pipe with holes in it- say 1/16" or so. You don't want the thing sucking air into the pipe- just gas flowing out.

The holes should face down and slightly back

The sealant you want to use inside the fire box is high temp anti-seize. If not, plan on some big wrenches and the potential to break things when you take it apart. Remember inside the firebox is under no pressure and the pipe has holes in it- that's why the teflon or paste isn't needed or the best bet- it doesn't last with all that heat.

Last edited:
   / Thread sealant for fireplace propane lighter #6  
The sealant you want to use inside the fire box is high temp anti-seize. If not, plan on some big wrenches and the potential to break things when you take it apart. Remember inside the firebox is under no pressure and the pipe has holes in it- that's why the teflon or paste isn't needed or the best bet- it doesn't last with all that heat.

I agree. I recently found some nickel based anti-sieze that is rated for 2600 degrees F. The pipes could lay right in the fire and still be taken apart later. And it could never leak. Teflon is only good up to about 500 degrees.

/ Thread sealant for fireplace propane lighter
Probably too late for OP but a few tips for anyone else-

We are assuming you have a log lighter valve and the proper regulator on the assembly and or house.

Their shouldn't be a Venturi in the log lighter- just a pipe with holes in it- say 1/16" or so. You don't want the thing sucking air into the pipe- just gas flowing out.

The holes should face down and slightly back

Not so. See - Air mixers for adapting natural gas burning features to liquid propane

Yes, there is a lighter valve and actually two regulators, one at the tank and another just outside the house.