Threadlock or Never-Seize

/ Threadlock or Never-Seize #11  
FWIW, a properly torqued fastner shouldnt require anything. Now I am just as guilty as any of using all of the above. And yes, I have even used lock washers with nylocs AND loctite before.

But think about your engine. Connecting rods, Main caps, valley pans, oil pump, head bolts, etc. About everything inside the engine that has a bolt. It is very rare to find loctite or lock washers. And they go through lots of heat cycling and vibrations. Heat cycling dont get much more extreme than aluminum heads on an iron block...

/ Threadlock or Never-Seize #12  
Most of my cars are all Castle Nuts... zero chance that any are just going to get lose.

About the only place I see them on modern cars are on the front/rear spindles.

Been a big fan of locktite products for decades and we used a lot of specialty formulations in the machine shop...

About the only think I commonly see a big lock washer are trailer balls...

Back in Engineering school we were told lockwashers are not nearly as effective when re-used.

Also keep an assortment of nylock nuts...

/ Threadlock or Never-Seize #13  
I have always wondered if spring washers help.

The big lock washers used to hold the pintle eye on a interstate trailer sure gouge the nut when you take them aloose though. Seems like they provide some resistance to loosening.

Like these:

/ Threadlock or Never-Seize #14  
Pictures

Attachments

• th-1.jpeg
    th-1.jpeg
    4 KB · Views: 96
  • th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    2.7 KB · Views: 75
   / Threadlock or Never-Seize #15  
Much of the discussion here is about the "split" lock washers. Wonder if any of the other types have different effectiveness? I have used the internal and external "star" type and am not too impressed, but I have also used some that were like flat washers but sort of conical, and I think they were spring steel... they seemed like they may be effective.

/ Threadlock or Never-Seize #16  
but I have also used some that were like flat washers but sort of conical, and I think they were spring steel... they seemed like they may be effective.

I have some of them. Not sure the proper name, but we call them European lock washers

/ Threadlock or Never-Seize #17  
you do however see safety wires, keeper tabs and pal nuts...

FWIW, a properly torqued fastner shouldnt require anything. Now I am just as guilty as any of using all of the above. And yes, I have even used lock washers with nylocs AND loctite before.

But think about your engine. Connecting rods, Main caps, valley pans, oil pump, head bolts, etc. About everything inside the engine that has a bolt. It is very rare to find loctite or lock washers. And they go through lots of heat cycling and vibrations. Heat cycling dont get much more extreme than aluminum heads on an iron block...

/ Threadlock or Never-Seize #18  
you do however see safety wires, keeper tabs and pal nuts...

See that alot in AG stuff. But rarely in autos. I have never seen locking methods of ANY kind on a headbolt, main cap, or rod cap. Not saying they are never used. but I have never seen them on any engine I have tore down

/ Threadlock or Never-Seize #19  
tear some fords down. :)

/ Threadlock or Never-Seize #20  
tear some fords down. :)

I try to avoid them. :laughing:

But have tore down and rebuilt plenty of small block mopars and chevys.

As well as countless new 4 and 6 cylinders of various makes when I was on a big scrapping spree a few years back.