Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA.

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #11  
In the link that SmallChange posted it shows an older massey tractor with rubber front tires and steel rear with a small mesh utility type trailer. I am guessing Amish and they were going somewhere as a family.

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #12  
The names of the dead were released: Katie Ann Stoltzfus, Mary Etta Stoltzfus, Naomi Rose Stoltzfus, Caleb Emmanuel Fisher. Those are all very Pennsylvania Dutch names. I don't want to say Amish necessarily, could have been Mennonite or one of the kinds of Brethren. More important is that it seems likely they were Old Order, so using steel tires (on the rear at least) and not using an automobile sound pretty plausible for a family outing.

Some reports say it happened at the campground, but the photos show this happened on the road, Rt 425 or Furnace Road. I don't think it had anything to do with the campground, that's just the closest address. I think the tractor lost control on steep curves, started down the embankment, and everything tumbled.

Perhaps the steel rears started slipping on the pavement? That would be a real hazard to watch for.

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #13  
The rears are not steel. They are steel with rubber tread, something I’ve only seen in Europe. They look like rubber tread bonded to a flat steel wheel. Looks weird. Some news videos I watched were in dry weather but the newscaster on one local news program was out at the scene in rain. Wondered if it was traction loss due to odd rear tires. The first reports were in error reporting it as an Amish buggy.

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #14  
The rears are not steel. They are steel with rubber tread, something I’ve only seen in Europe. They look like rubber tread bonded to a flat steel wheel. Looks weird. Some news videos I watched were in dry weather but the newscaster on one local news program was out at the scene in rain. Wondered if it was traction loss due to odd rear tires. The first reports were in error reporting it as an Amish buggy.
For this discussions sake I called them steel wheels. Your correct they do have some rubber, and it is bolted on a steel wheel, some anabaptist faiths utilize these wheels. Due to the lack of traction and damage to the roads they will wrap the steel wheels with treads or rubber blocks. They still do not have the traction of a pneumatic rubber tire. I grew up in an area were anabaptist were common and some churches allowed their members to use internal combustion engine powered transportation but not rubber tires, others allowed them to use tractors equiped with pneumatic tires. It was always impressive how much lumber they could stack on a backhoe and drive down the road. Put front of wood on loader bucket and rear of wood on stabilizer that was part way down. I am guessing they were most likely anabaptist, hence the initial report being about a buggy accident.

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #15  
Also many antique tractors on steel have had rubber street pads installed on them and the steel lugs removed. That way they can be run in parades and such.

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #17  
LOWER CHANCEFORD TOWNSHIP, PA. — 7/29/2022

Four people are dead after an older model farm tractor crash in York County, according to Pennsylvania State Police.

The crash happened shortly after 11 a.m. Friday in the 1100 block of Furnace Road in Lower Chanceford Township.

The farm tractor was pulling a flatbed, open utility trailer, according to state police.

Troopers said a woman and 11 juveniles were riding in the trailer when the tractor left the road and went over an embankment, causing the tractor to roll over. All 12 of the riders were thrown from the trailer.

The woman and three juveniles were killed, state police said.

"It's very somber, very tragic, especially anytime lives are lost, but especially when children are involved as well," Lt. Adam Reed said.

Five injured children are being treated at Penn State Hershey Medical Center. A spokesperson said the children are all in critical condition.
how torrible and sad....

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #18  
The pictures help a great deal. Being a paved road, suitable for automobiles, makes road slope seem to be a non-cause. From the picture of road departure, makes me wonder if the tractor operator had a medical issue.

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #19  

/ Three children, one adult dead in farm tractor crash in York County, PA. #20  
With big equipment comes great responsibility.
Do we know the actual cause?