Three Point Spreader -- Poly vs. Steel

/ Three Point Spreader -- Poly vs. Steel #1  

deere5105

Veteran Member
Tractor
2008 John Deere 5303 MFWD
I am in the market for a three point spreader. I have read all of the older threads and think may still have a different question to interject into the decision. I have narrowed it down to one of the Cosmo units. Will either go with the metal P500 or the poly P400. We have an older metal spreader, The Hollow brand, that is probably 20-30 years old. It has held up well with giving it a good wash and pouring motor oil in the hopper and spraying the moving parts with oil. A neighbor had a Land Pride that rusted out in the bottom. In looking at it closely it looks identical to the Cosmo units. It was not taken care of very well. In comparing the two it stands out to me that the maintenance and up keep will play a vital part in determining how long the unit will last.

I will be using the spreader only a few times a year to spread seed and fertilizer for deer plots and occasionally spreading wheat on fields. I will be transporting the spreader either in the back of a pickup or possibly strapped to my trailer. My question is would the steel unit be more durable being moved around and hauled like this than say the poly unit or would the poly unit be just as durable? If either one fell of the trailer or was dropped from a set of forks or fell out of a curled bucket from 2-3' off the ground would the steel just bend and keep working where the poly would crack and need replacing?

/ Three Point Spreader -- Poly vs. Steel #2  
bought a tarter from TSC. cleaned it and it still broke w/in 2 years...cosmo is good but they're all cheap and will not last like the units made 10/20 years ago... (friend has a JD spreader from 1976) the bottom will wear out before the hopper. get whatever is cheapest and plan on a new one every 5 years...

instead of spending 500 every 5 years i think i'm gonna buy the vicon/kubota pendular model for 1700 and it'll outlast me w care... my 2 cents.

/ Three Point Spreader -- Poly vs. Steel #3  
I’ve got the steel version and use it just like you plan. It’s about 6 years old and still in good shape. But I’m careful to clean it after every use and lube it with WD40
I don’t know about the plastic version, but Im happy with my steel one.

/ Three Point Spreader -- Poly vs. Steel
Poly version is only $50 more so cost isn’t an issue. Would hate to buy the poly thinking should last longer only to find out it didn’t hold up. The steel should be durable and last long as cleaned.

/ Three Point Spreader -- Poly vs. Steel #5  
I personally like the metal hoppers best. Have a Baltic that is over 25 years old. Washed it out and dried after using then sprayed it down with diesel mixed with used oil. I have never had anything plastic last that long.

/ Three Point Spreader -- Poly vs. Steel #6  
I am in the market for a three point spreader. I have read all of the older threads and think may still have a different question to interject into the decision. I have narrowed it down to one of the Cosmo units. Will either go with the metal P500 or the poly P400. We have an older metal spreader, The Hollow brand, that is probably 20-30 years old. It has held up well with giving it a good wash and pouring motor oil in the hopper and spraying the moving parts with oil. A neighbor had a Land Pride that rusted out in the bottom. In looking at it closely it looks identical to the Cosmo units. It was not taken care of very well. In comparing the two it stands out to me that the maintenance and up keep will play a vital part in determining how long the unit will last.

I will be using the spreader only a few times a year to spread seed and fertilizer for deer plots and occasionally spreading wheat on fields. I will be transporting the spreader either in the back of a pickup or possibly strapped to my trailer. My question is would the steel unit be more durable being moved around and hauled like this than say the poly unit or would the poly unit be just as durable? If either one fell of the trailer or was dropped from a set of forks or fell out of a curled bucket from 2-3' off the ground would the steel just bend and keep working where the poly would crack and need replacing?

I do not have a spreader, and do not need one.
That said: I would apply two coats of marine two part epoxy paint when the spreader (steel) is new.
Two part marine epoxy is tough stuff, resists abrasion, and is not easily chipped.