Backhoe Thumb for BL4690B backhoe

/ Thumb for BL4690B backhoe #1  

texbaylea

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST w/LA723 loader
I have made a commitment for a used BL4690B backhoe. Any suggestions as to what thumb to get for it and where. Only need a mechanical one.

Vernon

/ Thumb for BL4690B backhoe #2  
No I do not. But will be watching this thread for into on how to put one on my 4690.

/ Thumb for BL4690B backhoe #3  
I dont have the 4690 but a B21 which is similar in size and frame - I have the bolt on Brotek thumb I got in 2004 I think. I had to upgrade to the 1" pins (Cat 2) and HD setup from the 3/4" Cat 1 as I bent the conecting (an old top link). So Richard sent me new parts and plates and its OK but has some side to side play due to the design.

It works OK but if I were to do it again I would get a unit like Michigan Iron Equipment shown here Hound Dog Backhoe Thumbs

They have a 6" gripping area and look more stable when clamping. Here is a shot of mine installed.

Carl

Attachments

• Kubota Left Pic.JPG
    Kubota Left Pic.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 1,030
  • Kubota Thumb.JPG
    Kubota Thumb.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 609
   / Thumb for BL4690B backhoe #4  
It works OK but if I were to do it again I would get a unit like Michigan Iron Equipment shown here Hound Dog Backhoe Thumbs

Carl

I have what looks to be the identical thumb to what you linked to only mine was purchased from Extreme Metal Products. Here is a link.

http://www.extrememetalproducts.com....html?osCsid=346dfbc39ee062733a0aa35f713446d6

I have been happy with mine and it seems really rugged. I don't have any experience with the Brotek version though.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Thumb for BL4690B backhoe
Well the backhoe came late yesterday afternoon which was dark and misty. We unloaded it using my forks and short chains without problem. Paid a little over $3000.00 which I figured was a very good deal. It was presented as having less than 20 hours use but I think less than that as there was quite a bit of original paint still on the bucket. Original purchase was in 2007 and it is in good condition except for weathering.

I will make some measurements of the dipperstick this afternoon to be sure any thumb I select will fit.

Got to get busy and install the heavy duty top link bracket on my tractor, also find a downloadable copy of the parts list for this hoe.

Later
Vernon

/ Thumb for BL4690B backhoe #6  
I went with a Rankin thumb on mine, works OK.

(( Pics in my PB below ))

/ Thumb for BL4690B backhoe
   / Thumb for BL4690B backhoe #9  
I'd recommend either the Extreme Metal Products or the Hound Dog because of the design. I bought a Bro-Tek for my BH75 back in 08 or 09, and hated it. Fortunately, got it sold after a couple months use. There was WAY too much side-to-side play on that thing. I hated it so much, I decided to do without until I was ready to buy something like the other 2 I mentioned. Was pretty well set on the EMP thumb, but never got around to buying it before I traded.

Now I have the Kubota thumb on my new BH77.

/ Thumb for BL4690B backhoe #10  
I've been looking for a thumb for my backhoe and noticed the CDP weld-on thumbs are 25% off right now. They also have kits that you weld up yourself. I have never heard of CDP before but after searching here on TBN I can see that a number of members here have purchased from them. They are also convertible to hydraulic.

CDP backhoe > backhoes & thumb kits