Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #51  
Thanks for posting. A not so gentle reminder to be careful out there.
Hope you heal fast and regain all your function again.

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #52  
I had the same injury about 25 yrs. ago. I was a meat cutter for 20 yrs and did mine on a meat saw. I am sure the kerf on a band blade is less than a table saw so I probably had less "material":rolleyes: removed. I didn't lose the tip and over time almost all sensation returned.....I am believing you will have the same experience!

Last edited:
   / Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #53  
Wow.......that hurts! Sorry about your accident......hope the recovery goes well. Up here.....we have a lot of loggers.......one of them told me once.......if it weren't for the chain saw accident......I wouldn't be half the man I am today. Get well!

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures
Wow.......that hurts! Sorry about your accident......hope the recovery goes well. Up here.....we have a lot of loggers.......one of them told me once.......if it weren't for the chain saw accident......I wouldn't be half the man I am today. Get well!

Thats funny... in a dark sort of way, but funny.

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #55  
Sorry for your pain and time healing, GP. That thumb looks pretty nasty but as others have said, it sure could have been worse. Here's to a short recovery!

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #56  
Hit the end of mine almost in the exact same location on a table saw about 15 years ago. (photo below. Other hand from 30 years ago, also table saw.....turns out, table saws are quite dangerous....ahahahaaa)

Cut from the underside almost into the thumbnail. Left thumb is about 1/2" shorter, but recovered all feeling, and even the nail grew back (though somewhat screwed up looking).

Hope you end up as good as mine.

Several upsides to this:

1. You have the basis for a good "deaf joke".

I was gonna learn sign language, but they told me I had too much of a speech impediment.

Told that a deaf friend, he rolled in the floor.......:D

2. You 'might' qualify for a permanent handicap parking sticker !

3. Nail trimming time has been reduced by 10%. (You can't believe all I've done with that extra time !)

4. Holding my right hand up to my nose is great party entertainment.

5. Holding my right hand up, palm inward, I often tell folks "read between the lines".

5728_p114966.jpeg

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures
Thanks for the well wishes and the jokes.

Good news. Just went to see orthopedic hand surgeon. He says it looks real good. No surgery required, no amputation required. It will live. What a relief.

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #58  
OP...hope you make a full recovery!!!

I've done a lot of woodworking over the years and have a fair amount of $$$ invested in nice equipment. Been really fortunate to have not had any serious accidents...but like most I've had a couple close "Wake-up Calls" that make you respect the machines again!!! A few years ago I started dabbling with metal fabrication when building up a Jeep. After reading a few forum posts and seeing some injuries sustained from using "angle grinders"...I'm way more cautious working around metal! Full face shields and heavy leather gloves. Google "angle grinder injuries"...it ain't pretty!!!

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #59  
Hope all ends well. Tough lessons for sure. My saw came with a push bar, but nothing makes you use it. My dad did about the same thing once. He immediately wrapped it and had me take him to hospital. We really didn't know if thumb was wrapped up in there or not till we got there. The trail of blood snaked back & forth across the patio.

/ Thumb in the table saw. Warning - pictures #60  
Thanks for the well wishes and the jokes.

Good news. Just went to see orthopedic hand surgeon. He says it looks real good. No surgery required, no amputation required. It will live. What a relief.

Good deal GP on being able to "keep" that thumb. I am sure you fell a lot better about it. I reckon it still hurts, but it will eventually heal up. Thumbs UP!:thumbsup: And keep them the **** out of the saw from now on!