Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #81  
They definitely are still used on log trucks around here.

View attachment 835833

I don't know if they are load restricted by DOT.

The log loads are perfect for the snap type binders. They don't hang out wider than the load, and weight holds the handles downward.

Plus I've had issues with binders on solid loads like steel, not enough flex in the loads to get them adjusted properly. The logs likely have enough spring to tighten down well.
Here top notch log trucks are equipped with fixed, pneumatic driven tensioners.

I mean - this is great system, addresses a lot of issues

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #82  
I use both straps and chains. As long as you have enough working load limit, they are both acceptable and legal. The straps are nice as they are much lighter and easier to handle. The chains and binders work better for things that could cut the straps.
These are the straps I use (Vulcan Pro Series).

IMG_0892.JPG

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #83  
Thought that I would add to this thread rather than to start a new one with this little sugestion.

I tarped a load of hay the other day to keep the"slop" from melting snow from soaking it. I strapped the tarp and hay down on a criss-cross pattern using one of my J-hook straps that I did not happen to have sleeve protectors on. Remembering that I had some old heavy weight cotton socks for rags, I sliced the toes and made some light duty sleeves.

I can see where this would work on things like furniture, etc.

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #85  
Thought that I would add to this thread rather than to start a new one with this little sugestion.

I tarped a load of hay the other day to keep the"slop" from melting snow from soaking it. I strapped the tarp and hay down on a criss-cross pattern using one of my J-hook straps that I did not happen to have sleeve protectors on. Remembering that I had some old heavy weight cotton socks for rags, I sliced the toes and made some light duty sleeves.

I can see where this would work on things like furniture, etc.
Sounds like a good idea; Nice job re'purposing. I usually use them to polish chrome.

/ Tie Down Straps with loops for tractor #86  
I use both straps and chains. As long as you have enough working load limit, they are both acceptable and legal. The straps are nice as they are much lighter and easier to handle. The chains and binders work better for things that could cut the straps.
These are the straps I use (Vulcan Pro Series).

View attachment 837280
Good to know. The criteria includes the 0.8g strength of forward load (like in a collision.) That will be one that very few farmers and non-commercial folks moving a tractor around are likely to meet. That says a 10,000 lb tractor (incl. ALL of the stuff attached to it like the loader and various attachments) has to be restrained in the forward direction by 8,000 lb strength ties downs AND the related attachment points that would stand more than 8,000 lbs in the first place. Besides 5000 lb left/right restraints. From a mechanical engineering standpoint the requirements are probably hard to disagree with for safety. In all honesty these will rarely be complied with. ... and the people who stop you to question loads and tiedowns are NOT going to have the ability to test them either. Notice that the requirement does not include stuff being marked as to strength.