Tier 4 questions

/ Tier 4 questions #1  

oldpilgrim

Elite Member
Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3016HST
Can anyone explain which diesels are exempt at this time?

I've seen posted that 25hp and under are, then under 30hp are, then under 45hp are and even read that under 74hp are.

Are any exempt in the 2014 models?

I'm really confused and googling and reading what's there is even more confusing.

Thanks

/ Tier 4 questions #2  
All I know is that 25.0 and under are the rest are T-4

/ Tier 4 questions #3  
The way I read the emissions rules on most websites it appears that non road vehicles under 37KW (50 HP) would be exempt.
Other places say under 25 HP so its very confusing. I do own a 37+ HP tier 4 tractor and so far have no problems. Around my area most all diesel fuel is Ultra low sulfur diesel <15ppm.
The tractors I see that are selling as 2014 models not tier 4 are under 25 HP and are going fast off the lots. (Maybe they are leftover 2013's).

/ Tier 4 questions #4  
I believe engines under 37kW (49.6 Hp) are exempt.

eCFR
Which engines are excluded: eCFR :
ァ1039.5 Which engines are excluded from this part's requirements?

This part does not apply to the following nonroad engines:

(iv) Engines with rated power below 37 kW.

(e) Engines used in recreational vehicles. Engines certified to meet the requirements of 40 CFR part 1051 or are otherwise subject to 40 CFR part 1051 (for example, engines used in snowmobiles and all-terrain vehicles) are not subject to the provisions of this part 1039.

/ Tier 4 questions #5  
The references you saw to 25hp (19kW) and 75hp(56kW) might be for other years (See Table 1 of §1039.1—Part 1039 Applicability by Model Year) on the above links.

/ Tier 4 questions #6  
The new L3301 series from Kubota is tier 4 and it is 33hp. I expect all new series from other brands will be tier 4 as well. I purchased my Mahindra 3016 when I did to avoid the price increase on tier 4 tractors.

/ Tier 4 questions #7  
I'm picking up a new Workmaster 55 that is listed as tier lV interim. There is no def fluid or regen on it.

/ Tier 4 questions #8  
Tier IV has rolled out over time based on HP classes. As of now, pretty much everything has to be certified Tier IV, but some HP classes require a lot more than others to meet the standards. I think under 25.9HP requires very little. 26-49.9HP requires more, 50-75 HP norms are even more stringent. I do not think that there are any new tractor sizes that are exempt, but you will find that 25.9HP and down are essentially the same as Tier III from what I can see.

That is why some manufacturers are taking the 26-28 HP models and turning them down (or rating at lower RPM) and certifying them at 25.9HP. If you look for a low rpm higher cubic inch 25.9 or lower HP tractor, then you are probably looking at a turned down model for EPA reasons. And that is a good thing in my book. A larger engine turning slower in a small tractor will last forever, be quieter and use less fuel. And it will have no additional smog components. It's a win-win.

The Mahindra Max 24 and the Max 26, for example, are Tier IV tractors that use essentially the same engine that was used in the Tier III 3016 Mahindra. They have a ton of power and do so at low rpm.

I'm no expert on the EPA norms, but I hope this contributes to the conversation.

/ Tier 4 questions #9  
How does one know what "Tier" their tractor might be? Will there be some demarcation in the serial number or some other way to differenciate one Tier from another?

/ Tier 4 questions #10  
Open the hood and look for a large DPF, and shiny stainless exhaust. That should give you a good idea.