Buying Advice Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors?

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #171  
The DPF system on my mx5200 is the one thing on the tractor that worries me the most. It forces me to run at higher RPMs than necessary just to generate heat to burn off particulates that I have never believed to be any kind of issue on the farm. And now they are going to stick it to the 25hp and under machines, too?

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #172  
The DPF system on my mx5200 is the one thing on the tractor that worries me the most. It forces me to run at higher RPMs than necessary just to generate heat to burn off particulates that I have never believed to be any kind of issue on the farm. And now they are going to stick it to the 25hp and under machines, too?
It may not make much difference on your farm, but your lungs appreciate not inhaling particulates.

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #173  
My tractors are operated in enough free cubic bazillion feet of space that I'm not worried about particulates. I do worry about the DPF shutting off the tractor in some inaccessible spot and even if it was accessible, it's no fun trying to move a dead tractor.

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #174  
most of us ol' timers here can complain, but are pretty well set up. the newest of my 3 vehicles is an '06.
but sorry to see younger generations struggle with new vehicle prices along with high housing costs. part of the world we're leaving them regardless of what side of the aisle you're on

Yes, I hear you. My new car is a '97. I can work on it - barely.

A fair number of us old timers got our start by fixing up a car and a house that nobody wanted - then gradually built up to something newer and nicer.

As I look around, I see just as many of those "start from scratch" opportunities now as there were back when us boomers were starting out.

I also believe that the younger generation are no more or less capable as we were, and can see that the US - at least the rural US - has not changed all that much.

Which tells me the all the Younger Generations will do just fine. All they have to do is decide what they want to do and then do it. I won't deny that is easier to say than to do, but it is a clear path, well traveled, and available to anyone.

rScotty

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #175  
Another 17 pages of right wing whining.

I periodically take a break from this site after it regularly degenerates into this right wing bullshit.

See Ya!
Hmm...that time of the month??

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #176  
Yes, I hear you. My new car is a '97. I can work on it - barely.

A fair number of us old timers got our start by fixing up a car and a house that nobody wanted - then gradually built up to something newer and nicer.

As I look around, I see just as many of those "start from scratch" opportunities now as there were back when us boomers were starting out.

I also believe that the younger generation are no more or less capable as we were, and can see that the US - at least the rural US - has not changed all that much.

Which tells me the all the Younger Generations will do just fine. All they have to do is decide what they want to do and then do it. I won't deny that is easier to say than to do, but it is a clear path, well traveled, and available to anyone.

rScotty
good point. each generational transition is complex. after all, aren't we the beneficiaries of the greatest generation that proceeded us? always been a believer in the frontier spirit & wide open opportunity (walt whitman, my hero)

hope my daughter & grandson can feel the same in time. these are tough times to raise a young family

Last edited:
   / Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #177  
It may not make much difference on your farm, but your lungs appreciate not inhaling particulates.
I’ll trade a few particulates in my lungs for impossible to afford police-state regulations on new diesel machinery.
It runs clean enough. We did our job.
Make China and India do theirs.

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #178  
For me wearing respirator helps all around... dust, pollen and fumes...

A respirator let me almost eliminate allergy meds.

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #179  
For me wearing respirator helps all around... dust, pollen and fumes...

A respirator let me almost eliminate allergy meds.
When I operated my old tractor (model year 2000) I got a splitting sinus headache whenever I used it more than 30 minutes. I haven’t had any problems since replacing it with my new tier 4 tractor in 2021. I do wear a respirator when mowing dry dusty grass, but that’s it. The new tractor is clean enough that the sinus headaches are gone. I’m sure that a cab would also address the issue on the pre-emissions machines, but I’ve only had open station machines.

/ Tier V emission standards soon for new diesel engine tractors? #180  
I’ll trade a few particulates in my lungs for impossible to afford police-state regulations on new diesel machinery.
It runs clean enough. We did our job.
Make China and India do theirs.
Personally, I don’t care if they die from pollution in China and India. It’s their affair. I do like clean air where I live in the United States and I appreciate not getting sinus headaches from black soot.