Tight budget: Is this even possible?

/ Tight budget: Is this even possible? #21  
That's exactly the one I was thinking he should check out! Nothing a little work won't get all spiffy! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Tight budget: Is this even possible? #24  
I buy everything on a tight budget...so I 'feel your pain'. I currently have an 83 Mitsubishi Beaver 15hp 2wd with FEL and tiller which I bought from a friend for just $2500...so good deals are out there, for sure. Having had several tractors within your price range, I will offer my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

1) small 2wd tractors with FEL can be very useful, certianly less than 4wd, but far better than no FEL...
2) small older Japanese tractors are built like tanks, require almost no service if in good condition
3) If buying Grey, yanmars offer the best parts support, followed by iseki. Spend some time on the grey market board first to make sure of the models with good parts support.
4) If you are not mechanically inclined, buy from a dealer with a shop - or research a good mechanic BEFORE YOU BUY!. So many sad stories of guys buying grey market or orphan tractors, only to find no mechanic willing to work on it...
5) A $200 rear scoop is a very useful tool, I had a larger 4wd 25hp jap tractor with only the rear scoop before my Beaver, and I moved a lot of dirt. Sore neck, but better than a shovel /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
6) Have fun, take a mechanical old timer with you when you shop, ask lots of questions on TBN. There is no shame to buying a cheap tractor, and no debt is a GREAT place to be /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Tight budget: Is this even possible? #25  
Would a full size Used 135 MF Gas (38 hp) with Manual Trip bucket hydraulic loader wont work for you at $5500?--Ken Sweet

/ Tight budget: Is this even possible?
It might, but I won't actually be moving onto the property until the end of March so it will have to wait until then.

If I have to choose between 4wd and a loader, I'm thinking I should probably go for the 4wd. I can always add a loader later, but I can't add 4wd without buying a whole new tractor. It's important for me to have both, so I think I may just start out with a 4wd tractor with no loader unless I come across a killer deal that allows me to get both.

/ Tight budget: Is this even possible? #27  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If I have to choose between 4wd and a loader, I'm thinking I should probably go for the 4wd. -sd_smoker)</font>

I decided a loader was more important than 4x4 if I couldn't find both within my budget.

4x4 adds maybe 20% to usability. On the other hand there is a 100% increase in abilities beween no loader and having a loader. You can use the loader's curl to crawl out of a stuck spot so it partly makes up for the absence of a driven front axle. I've owned seven 4x4 vehicles so I realize what I am giving up here.

Nothing will substitute for that loader when you want to lift an implement out of your trailer, distribute a load of gravel, or a million other projects that a loader makes possible. 4x4 would be 'nice-to-have' while the loader is essential to what I use the tractor for.

Don't give up looking. That little Ford is too thrashed for its price, but I bought a Yanmar with a big (60") loader that looked nearly as neglected and after some minor tinkering - loading the tires, flushing bad fuel, a battery, etc it turned out to run excellent. In fact I bought a new battery for my wife's car and moved her battery to the tractor to make most effective use of my money. Total cost to put this tractor in service was under $4,000.

Also - often bigger tractors in rough condition sell cheaper than little tractors. If you have enough space to operate then an old IH etc might be a better buy.

I admire your goal to avoid debt. That strategy has worked well for me.

/ Tight budget: Is this even possible? #29  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A few that are pretty close to budget w/ FEL, within budget w/o FEL -viking65 )</font>

So that's where I saw photos of the VN reconditioning factory!

Click on their 'About Our Tractors' then 'Tour of the factory'.

/ Tight budget: Is this even possible? #30  
But what about geting a scoop in LL1 in clay. I am using my 224 to move a lot of clay and top soil, and so far the main issue is traction. As long as the wheels are slipping am I okay? I try and use 2 wheel drive but the traction is not there. I have been watching these threads on your axle (I am trully sorry) and am wondering is this a comon thing? If the tractor is in 4wheel drive to just push into the soil is this okay if am VERY carefull to watch those front tires. By the way I built the tooth bar that was in a thread a while back called $50 toothbar or something simular. It has made a big difference. It seemed like the perfect solution for me since my rig only is used occasionally.
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif