Tiller for Cub 2554?

/ Tiller for Cub 2554? #1  

diesel_nut

Gold Member
Tractor
~'88 1872(sold); '08 GT2554
Anyone have any good ideas for a tiller for a Cub 2554?

Cub makes one for it but it costs as much as the tractor. Not going to pay all that $$ for a small garden.

I could get by with a walk-behind tiller but I'd rather let the tractor 'do all the work'.

/ Tiller for Cub 2554? #2  
In my personal opinion---others may have better ideas---

it's a pain to remove the mower deck and then install a rear tiller and then swap them back again to cut grass.

on the older Cub Cadets like the 1650, there was a long belt that drove the tiller and the belt itself was pretty expensive. I'd check to see how much belts are for your machine.

on the older Cub cadets, the tiller itself was pretty heavy.

stand alone tiller is more manuverable and you don't have to swap out the mower deck to use it.

another possibility to consider is using a moldboard plow to break your soil and then till it with a walkbehind tiller.

/ Tiller for Cub 2554?
Sounds like a good idea to me.

/ Tiller for Cub 2554?
Thanks. Looks like a great option to do.

Looked that up and that is still like $1200. Yikes.

A regular rear tine walk-behind is looking good ;)

/ Tiller for Cub 2554? #6  
Well, you can always keep an eye out on the auction sites for a used pull behind unit, they do pop up fairly regular.

/ Tiller for Cub 2554? #7  
1*Anyone have any good ideas for a tiller for a Cub 2554?
2*Cub makes one for it but it costs as much as the tractor.
3* I could get by with a walk-behind tiller but I'd rather let the tractor 'do all the work'.
1*I have a low hour CC gt2554 with an unused tiller and and a never installed new front blade .
To buy a new CC 2554 rear tiller and blade runs right about 9200 with tax .
I'd let this one go for $6800 an there is no tax due on it .
2*How much is the Cub tiller?
3*I don't blame you -no way do i wanna walk when i can ride.

4*Thanks. Looks like a great option to do.
5*Looked that up and that is still like $1200. Yikes.
4*Not as great as it looks.
5*Yep and another engine to maintain .

Agri-Fab makes a self powered tow behind tiller that costs less than the Cub attachment and will fit behind any brand GT (universal attachment)
6*www.agri-fab.com - Multi-Fit Tow-Behind Tiller
But you can't back it
Multi-Fit-Tow-Behind-Tiller.gif

up into a dirt pile like I can this one !
100_2316.jpg

/ Tiller for Cub 2554? #8  
I've got a brand new never used 002 Cub tiller I'm selling on Ebay, asking 1600 but will take less. PM me if interested.

/ Tiller for Cub 2554? #9  
How do you gentlemen cultivate between the rows of your garden with tractor mounted tillers once your garden starts growing well? Do you leave enough space between rows to get your tractor through them?

/ Tiller for Cub 2554? #10  
How do you gentlemen cultivate between the rows of your garden with tractor mounted tillers once your garden starts growing well? Do you leave enough space between rows to get your tractor through them?

I know some guys that leave that much space. Another option is to buy a rear mounted cultivator and set it up so your tractor straddles the rows and cultivates the space between the rows. Once the plants are large enough that you can't drive over them with the cultivator, they shold be big enough to choke out most of the weeds.