Tiller-Horsepower requirements

/ Tiller-Horsepower requirements #1  

AB4D

Silver Member
Tractor
Prior: Kubota BX-23, Kubota L3430HSTC, Kubota ZG23, L3560 HSTC Limited Edition, Current: L6060 HSTC
I am going to purchase a 3pt tiller in the next few weeks. I am going to get either a Befco 50" offset tiller or King Kutter II 72" tiller. I like the King Kutter over the Befco because of the width, however, I am not sure if my tractor has enough power to run the larger 72" King Kutter. I have a Kubota Grand L3430 HSTC that has 35 horsepower with 27 horsepower at the PTO. Is this enough? The KK brochure indicates that you need 35-50 hp for this tiller, however, the brochure doesn't specify if the requirement is base on PTO hp or Gross hp. The area I am tilling is probably less than an acre.

Jim

/ Tiller-Horsepower requirements #2  
Jim, I just bought a King Kutter 72" tiller. My tractor is a NH TC45D with 38 PTO hp. It runs that tiller as if it isn't even back there. Only when I hit some tree roots did I ever hear the engine even load up at all. I think your tractor can handle the tiller and since it's hydrostatic, you can adjust your speed as required. If for some reason the tiller is too much, just remove one set of tiller tines. They just bolt to the hub. You can always remove tines from the larger tiller and keep them as spares. I'm pretty sure the 72" KK tiller will be less than the Befco, although the Befco is a quality product.

I love my tiller. I used a two-bottom plow to break the native soil and then came back with the tiller to really till it into a fluffy, nice soil for planting.

/ Tiller-Horsepower requirements #3  
I too like the KK 72" tiller. I run mine thru (disced ) 3 ac of garden space (sandy loam mostly) with a ford 1920 - seldom lugs the engine at all. However, "breaking" hard ground would (has) tax(ed) this combination. I've added 400 lbs front end weight with the tiller so the tractor will turn /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. So for you I would say if you plan on running it thru broken ground you will be ok - using the tiller to break hard soil will just not work with 27 hp.

/ Tiller-Horsepower requirements #4  
If you are looking for a quality gear driven 3 point tiller that is designed for your size tractor take a look at the CCM tillers.
Your tractor can handle a CR70 (71") or a MR190 (72") CCM tiller.

MR-Front-d.jpg

/ Tiller-Horsepower requirements #5  
You don't mention your soil type and that is a factor to really take into account with a tiller.

If you have heavy clay soil then you may want to look at the 50" or perhaps a 60" model. If you have loamy or sandy soil then the 72" unit should not be too much, and as Jinman suggests, you can always slow down a bit if necessary.

/ Tiller-Horsepower requirements #6  
I have an L3710HST and a 72" KK tiller. Breaking new ground is slow, (heavy clay and deep sod), existing gardens are not a problem. I've had mine for 6 years and have easily put 100 hours on this attachment with no issues. The prep work on mine was sloppy, I had a bunch of loose tines. Make sure the bolts on your tines are tight and the gearboxes are filled with oil. I also adjust the slip clutch every spring.

/ Tiller-Horsepower requirements #7  
jinman

when you get a chance could you post a picture of your two bottom plow. I'm new to farming and have been discing/ tilling some small parcels, 1 acre or less, pastures that have bermuda grass weeds. It's been kinda tough goin' getting the ground broke up enough to be able to use the tiller without tearing up the tiller. I'm thinkin' I my be needing a plough, but don't even know what to look for. I got a JM354 jinma tractor. A picture make model might help me to go the right direction. Thanks bjr

/ Tiller-Horsepower requirements #8  
Our First Choice roto tillers will be hard to beat when you consider all factors involved--Ken Sweet

270-528-3323
Email sweet@scrtc.com

f2_1.JPG

/ Tiller-Horsepower requirements #9  
JJT,

When I till new ground, I run over it first with the scarifiers down on the BB. It loosens the soil and either pulls up or identifies where buried obstacles are located. Makes it a lot easier to till!

ron

/ Tiller-Horsepower requirements #10  
Some consideration must be taken regarding GROUND SPEED as well as plain ol' horsepower. If the tractor can't get down slow enough, you need more ponies.

I've used a 72" KK tiller behind an old Massey Ferguson 50 with 32 HP on the PTO, and a gas engine. That was a work-out! 44 PTO hp handles it real well, even in low/2nd on my 150. 60 HP Deere will FLY with 72" tiller.