Tiller Tiller leaking oil? Need help!

/ Tiller leaking oil? Need help!
It is a double lip seal, make sure lip is toward fluid when you install.
These guys can get it. Should be about $6.00 each
They show one seal, but when you take it apart see if you can stack two in there.
Keep me posted, I would like to know how you make out?

http://www.bdi-usa.com/Corporate/Contact.aspx

f you have any inquiries please contact us:
BDI-Bearing Distributors, Inc.
8000 Hub Parkway
Cleveland, Ohio 44125
Ph. (216) 642-9100
Fax. (216) 642-9573
E-mail:bshepard@bdi-usa.com

/ Tiller leaking oil? Need help! #12  
Just got back from TSC, they want $1150. I passed, the paint isn't worn off the tines yet but someone beat the snot out of this tiller. Bent tines, bent skid, multiple dings from tilling rocks. No wonder it leaks oil.
Thats a total rip for a leaking tiller. Ipaid about that for my brand new 5' 3yrs ago. It started seeping oil soon, but not enuf to worry. Just pour $.50 worth in before you till. If it gets worse use grease+oil. If you put any value at all on your time this is the most $ efficient unless you use it a lot.
larry

/ Tiller leaking oil? Need help! #13  
The tractor store in my town wants 1600 for a 5' with a froze up bearing! (bailing twine around drum)

And If I could get a new one for under 1800 around here, I would have...

/ Tiller leaking oil? Need help! #14  
Using the correct oil may solve a leak issue; 85w140 or 000 grease.

KKII sells their seal set (P/N 505017 - two seals) for ~$23. Call 800-228-2308 and ask for the parts department. I got mine in two days. And use the right oil, in fact I should have tried that first. Could have saved me a half-days work.

Thats a total rip for a leaking tiller. Ipaid about that for my brand new 5' 3yrs ago. It started seeping oil soon, but not enuf to worry. Just pour $.50 worth in before you till. If it gets worse use grease+oil. If you put any value at all on your time this is the most $ efficient unless you use it a lot.
larry

True for a small drip. The leak only gets worse over time and if you put equipment inside, then you always have an oil puddle.
It isn't that hard to change the seals, if you have an average mechanical ability.
If it's off season, work on it intermittently.
I wish you were close, I would come over and help. It is one of those jobs that looks hard, but is very straight forward. If you decide to do it, I will help anyway I can.... hope this helps.

Using the correct oil may solve a leak issue; 85w140 or 000 grease.

KKII sells their seal set (P/N 505017 - two seals) for ~$23. Call 800-228-2308 and ask for the parts department. I got mine in two days. And use the right oil, in fact I should have tried that first. Could have saved me a half-days work.

I could not find Triple zero grease anywhere. I went to Napa and asked the counter person about that grease and he looked at me like I was wearing his clothes. They were all running around asking each other. I did find a place online that wanted $200 for five gallons.

I think this grease would be good to use, if you can get it a reasonable cost.

Another thing you way want to do, is go over the tine bolts and make sure they are tight. If they get loose, they break off near the bolt wholes.
They are about $50 for six new tines.

/ Tiller leaking oil? Need help! #18  
We just purchased a 120 Lbs. drum of EP0 for $138. Typically a 40 Lbs pail cost $50-$60.
Snapper uses EP00 in their rear engine rider and they have it available by the quart. Even John Deere has EP0 corn head grease available but it is pricey.

We just purchased a 120 Lbs. drum of EP0 for $138. Typically a 40 Lbs pail cost $50-$60.
Snapper uses EP00 in their rear engine rider and they have it available by the quart. Even John Deere has EP0 corn head grease available but it is pricey.

What is EPO?

/ Tiller leaking oil? Need help! #20  
I could not find Triple zero grease anywhere. I went to Napa and asked the counter person about that grease and he looked at me like I was wearing his clothes. They were all running around asking each other. I did find a place online that wanted $200 for five gallons.

I think this grease would be good to use, if you can get it a reasonable cost.

Here is some 0 grease that McMaster Carr sells, not sure if it's the same as 000, but their NLGI chart shows it to have the consistancy of mustard.

McMaster-Carr