Tiller Tiller or Disc Harrow

/ Tiller or Disc Harrow #1  

DOlwert

Tractor
LS MT342C
I made the mistake of having a bunch of trees mulched in areas I want to clear and plant grass and a garden. I’ve used a leveler and the loader float function to push a lot of it to an area that I just filled in but quite a bit still remains. I plan of going over some of it with a brush hog to break into smaller pieces (nothing is too large fortunately). My question is if it would be better or easier to use a tiller or a disk harrow to mix it into the dirt. What do you guys think would be the best approach?

If there is an even better way than a tiller or disc harrow I’m open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!

/ Tiller or Disc Harrow #2  
The disc would be so much faster . You could go over it 3 or 4 times with the disc at different depths and angles and be ahead on time while doing a decent job .

/ Tiller or Disc Harrow #3  
What SandburRanch just said. There is a qualifier, however. The disk must be heavy enough to do the job. If it's too light it will just bounce along behind your tractor.

I have a light Land Pride disk - DH1048 @421#. It's not even worth the effort to hook up behind my tractor. It's the last of my Cat 1 implements. I'm looking to upgrade to a larger and heavier DH.

I want one in the 1200# to 1300# range. This would be 50# to 60# per disk blade.

Loaded weight per disk blade is a good method of determining the effectiveness of these implements.

Last edited:
   / Tiller or Disc Harrow #4  
oosik is correct . IIR some of the old time discs had angle iron rectangle frames on top to hold concrete weight . And the gang angle could be changed to 90° to travel direction for more depth and travel on county roads .

Last edited:
   / Tiller or Disc Harrow #5  
I made the mistake of having a bunch of trees mulched in areas I want to clear and plant grass and a garden. I’ve used a leveler and the loader float function to push a lot of it to an area that I just filled in but quite a bit still remains. I plan of going over some of it with a brush hog to break into smaller pieces (nothing is too large fortunately). My question is if it would be better or easier to use a tiller or a disk harrow to mix it into the dirt. What do you guys think would be the best approach?

If there is an even better way than a tiller or disc harrow I’m open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Keep in mind that if you mix wood chips into the soil, it will take a few years before you can have a successful garden in that soil. The microbes that break down the carbon in the chips will tie up the nitrogen in the soil. Alternatively you can incorporate the chips and plant a garden, but you will have to heavily supplement the soil with nitrogen fertilizer.

/ Tiller or Disc Harrow #6  
Many years ago - I made a reinforced concrete square. It has a lifting ring in the center - weighs ~ 400#. I've placed it - carefully - on the Land Pride disk set. It's a completely different implement with this added weight.

However - I can see how this added weight really strains the frame on the disk. It's simply not designed for the added weight.

/ Tiller or Disc Harrow #7  
I want to clear and plant grass and a garden.

How many acres of grass and garden?

/ Tiller or Disc Harrow
I want to clear and plant grass and a garden.

How many acres of grass and garden?

I have about 6 acres that I need to do this for and 1.5 of it will be a garden. Thanks for the Info here!

/ Tiller or Disc Harrow
What SandburRanch just said. There is a qualifier, however. The disk must be heavy enough to do the job. If it's too light it will just bounce along behind your tractor.

I have a light Land Pride disk - DH1048 @421#. It's not even worth the effort to hook up behind my tractor. It's the last of my Cat 1 implements. I'm looking to upgrade to a larger and heavier DH.

I want one in the 1200# to 1300# range. This would be 50# to 60# per disk blade.

Loaded weight per disk blade is a good method of determining the effectiveness of these implements.
Thank you both! This is great info and appreciate the insight!

/ Tiller or Disc Harrow #10  
If their are lots of roots to deal with the tiller would be a bad idea . A landscape rake could possibly get lots of the wood pieces scraped into piles to pick up with the loader, then disk.