Tiller tiller troubleshooting

/ tiller troubleshooting #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
i ran over a very large rock yesterday with my ford 105A tiller. Now when I try to till deeply there is a gear grinding sound and the tines do not turn. it works fine if i till less deep. is this the clutch on the tiller causing this? do i just need to adjust it?

/ tiller troubleshooting #2  
Chances are you've got it figured out. :D :D

You can also feel the clutch. It gets hot if it slips. If it slips enough it will smoke.:D

/ tiller troubleshooting #3  
Egon said:
Chances are you've got it figured out. :D :D

You can also feel the clutch. It gets hot if it slips. If it slips enough it will smoke.:D

And if Egon's suggestion isn't right...then you are looking toward the tiller's gearbox...:(

/ tiller troubleshooting
so i got into it and tightened the clutch way down but this made no difference. i then took apart the gear box (yes i forgot about the oil and it went all over the place)and found that the gears look like new even thought they are almost 20 years gone. i found that the frame is cracked and this may be why i'm having the problem....when i pull the tiller one side is not attached and it may be just digging itself down and not moving forward evenly.
anyway the cracked part is kind of thin and i'm not so sure that a weld will hold it. I don't have welding equipment so i would have to take it somewhere to get it welded.
i am thinking of just getting a new tiller since this one is very beat up and old.

/ tiller troubleshooting #5  
Tillers are not that complicated. May be a little heftier iron can be welded on to strengthen the whole tiller:D :D ???:confused: :confused:

/ tiller troubleshooting #6  
Egon said:
Tillers are not that complicated. May be a little heftier iron can be welded on to strengthen the whole tiller:D :D ???:confused: :confused:

Yeah...like Egon says...maybe this would be a good candidate to practice welding on...:D