Tiller

/ Tiller #1  

LittleBittyBigJohn

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 1025R, Spartan SRT-XD 72" zero turn
I just got a 1025R last week. My neighbor has a John Deere 550 tiller that he is willing to part with. We hooked it up to my little tractor and it does great. He bought it in the mid-late 1980's but he is one of the **** types that always keeps things in good order. He has a larger tiller he uses with his JD990 tractor now and no longer uses this one. I have a few questions, I assume these are good tillers or it wouldn't have lasted this long. What is the value? It is so old that there are not many of sale that I can find online to get an idea. My thought is that if I can get it for around half of a new King Kutter or Frontier 1149 then I would just assume buy it and save my money. If it's much more than that maybe 35 years or so newer would be better. But, like all things of old, it may be better quality and last longer than a new one. What is your take?

Also I realized I don't have great pictures, what do you want to see?
20210907_162031.jpg
20210906_150859.jpg

/ Tiller #2  
Looks very similar to others of the past. The body seems quite sturdy. The chain drive may need periodic attention. The two shaft bearings should be findable.

It kinda reminds me of an Italian tiller??

/ Tiller #3  
What's he asking for it? I'd offer maybe $500. The chain and gear box are easy to service with new lubricants. It'll probably last you as long as your JD1025....assuming that you are just tilling a garden....not a field. Did the PTO shaft fit?

Cheers,
Mike

/ Tiller
Yes PTO shaft fit. I get the feeling he is going to want more than $500. I think he is going to want $1,000-$1,500.

/ Tiller #5  
Well, if it is one of the tillers Howard made for deere, it's about twice as good as a KK tiller to start with.

SR

/ Tiller #6  
Used implement prices are all over the board. I'd be surprised if he can get $500 for it, how many buyers are there for a small PTO tiller that is 35 years old?
That said, it seems like a quality piece of equipment and given a new one (Tarter) is around $1500 for a 4', as long as you're less than 50% of the new price I'd go for it.

/ Tiller
That one looks brand new. Here are the tines on this one.
20210910_122724.jpg

/ Tiller #9  
Your 1025R can handle a JD 450 tiller just fine. It had a 45" working width and 4 tines per flange.

Unless you are in sandy soil, I think you'll find the JD 550 tiller will be a workout for your 17 hp tractor.

/ Tiller #10  
Those are good tillers, made by Howards, I have a 660 I bought used and have pretty rocky soil so it takes a beating and has held up great.

Implement prices can vary quite a bit by region, but around here it would most likely sell quickly for 800-1000.

Tines look still have life left in them and a set of replacments aren't too expensive anyways.
Does it have a functional slip clutch on the pto shaft?