Tillers on tractors

/ Tillers on tractors #1  

OzKioti

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti RX8030 & loader
The manual for my tractor does not approve a tiller (rotavator/rototiller).

Why would this be, and do any other manufacturers specifically disapprove?

/ Tillers on tractors #2  
None that I'm aware of.

I'm wondering if that passage in the manual was somehow "Lost in Translation" from Korean to English? could they perhaps mean pulling a big plow?

There are passages in my own "English" manual that make you pause and say, "What?"

I looked through the manual available on the Kioti website for your tractor:

https://www.kiotitractors.com.au/uploaded/Manuals/RX6030-8030.pdf

I couldn't find anywhere where it said you couldn't use a tiller. In fact in the section covering attachment of 3 pt implements, the example they use for the manual's pictures is a tiller. I'm referring to page 6-2.

Was this just something your dealer told you?

Last edited:
   / Tillers on tractors #3  
   / Tillers on tractors #4  
There's a table on page 3-14 of the linked manual that states "Not use" for the tiller.

/ Tillers on tractors #5  
Well then flip a coin I guess.

I would ask Kioti mothership. Sounds like misprinted manual to me.

/ Tillers on tractors
I only registered the table, and didn't notice the photo on 6-2. So yeah, flip a coin:

Kioti and tillers.jpg

Regarding the Kioti tillers, it appears they're rated to only 50hp? The RX8030 lists PTO hp as being 65.

I'm not sure the hp requirements/limitations of my tiller (Sovemo) but I'd think overdriving a tiller would be more painful to the tiller, not the tractor?

/ Tillers on tractors #7  
I agree that the do not comment has to do with their equipment not being up to the HP of your tractor. Otherwise I see no reason for the caution. I run a 6' plain vanilla sold everywhere behind my 35-50 HP Fords....no biggie. Wouldn't use it on the 6530 as no need to. I never run my RPMs at max when tilling anyway, so since HP is Torque x RPMs/5252 and I never run it all that fast, it never sees the 65 hp anyway.

/ Tillers on tractors #8  
I've been told that I shouldn't try a rototiller on my 8n Ford because the PTO spins too fast. Don't know if that's true. I use it primarily for mowing and brushhogging blackberry vines, but I might buy a tiller if it would work.

/ Tillers on tractors #9  
I've been told that I shouldn't try a rototiller on my 8n Ford because the PTO spins too fast. Don't know if that's true. I use it primarily for mowing and brushhogging blackberry vines, but I might buy a tiller if it would work.
I don't believe the PTO speed/RPM is the problem.
Its the gearing (first gear is to fast) that causes problems with a tiller on that model.

/ Tillers on tractors #10  
I sure hope you are using an overrunning clutch/coupler when mowing with your 8N.
The 8N with a brush type mower is NOT SAFE, without an overrunning clutch/coupler!
An overrunning PTO clutch/coupler only costs about $50+
If you have exceptionally light sandy soil, a tiller MIGHT work for you, but in most soil situations, the 8N (tractor) gear speeds are simply too fast.
8N PTO speed is not an issue!

Last edited: