Time for a new lawn & garden tractor! (SCUT)

/ Time for a new lawn & garden tractor! (SCUT) #1  

ishiboo

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010HSTC, Cat 279c
I'm ready to buy a new tractor for yard work and lawn/garden stuff like pulling a small yard work trailer, pulling a dethatcher, sweeper, etc. I also think it's the best option to put a backhoe on it, as I'd like to be able to use it around the yard for bush planting, small trenches, etc. My NX is too big for this kind of work.

I've been completely satisfied with my NX, and having spoken with other Kioti owners and dealers it seems like I'm not alone. But I'm leaning towards the Deere 1025r. I'd like to do some mowing with the tractor instead of my GT235, and having the auto connect mower deck seems like a really useful option. The loader, backhoe and 3 point all have better specs as well.

It seems hard to compete with the Deere. The similar Kubota is more money, lacks features like the auto connect deck, position control, etc.

Anything I am missing?

/ Time for a new lawn & garden tractor! (SCUT) #2  
I usually hear that Kubota is cheaper.

/ Time for a new lawn & garden tractor! (SCUT) #3  
Out of curiosity, if you're happy with your Kioti, why not a CS? Of a CK2510?

/ Time for a new lawn & garden tractor! (SCUT)
I usually hear that Kubota is cheaper.

The Kubota ends up being slightly cheaper, however it has slightly lower capacities on the loader/backhoe. It does not have the auto-connect MMM. The Kubota's drive-over deck is not terrible to connect, but it has some hokey ramps you have to put out, a big lever and switches to push, etc. It just seems cheesy compared to the Deere's setup.

Overall, I think they are priced pretty competitively... what you loose on the Kubota, you make up for a bit of $$.

Out of curiosity, if you're happy with your Kioti, why not a CS? Of a CK2510?

Well, maybe I need to go take a look again. I looked at the CS2210 at the farm show and it didn't seem like the fit/finish was the same. In addition, it was lacking some features that the Deere has like the drive-over autoconnect deck, has lower lift/etc. capacities on the backhoe/loader/3-point, etc. I should go investigate again though.

My plan for the Deere was to pay cash. The Kubota dealer can give me the same deal even if I take the 60-month 0% financing... so that is an additional benefit. Not sure if there are really no cash incentives in lieu of the financing deal like I normally see, or if there's that much room to negotiate.

Oh, one thing every brand but Deere seems to be missing is 3-point position control, which is another reason I was looking at the Deere. Perhaps that wouldn't be a big deal in practice, I've just never owned a tractor without it.

More minor things. The Kubota backhoe is slightly roomier, as it uses the same seat. The new 260B has its own seat and you have to flip between the two. The Deere has a step on the stabilizer, the Kubota you have to add aftermarket.

The Kubota uses separate forward/reverse pedals, but they are one in front of the other almost like a treadle pedal but not. The Deere and Kioti use the side-by-side setup I much prefer, as that's what I've always used. The Kubota has foot-operated parking breaks, the Deere uses a silly plastic handle. None of these are terribly huge deals, but just pros and cons to each.

Interestingly, I priced the Kioti CS2510.

The Deere 1025R comes to $22,000 with the 60" drive-over deck and a 60" box blade. (IIRC there was a rebate for buying an attachment, so I cannot simply subtract it from the price.)

The B23S came to $20,900 with or without the 0% for 60 offer. That's with the 60" drive-over deck and universal quick attach.

The Kioti comes to $20,000, or a difference of only $900 between it and the Kubota. In addition, if I take the 0% for 60, they tack on another $2600. So essentially with the financing offer, they're more than the Kubota.

I LOVE my NX, and I wouldn't ever hesitate to buy another Kioti. But it seems if they're going to price themselves that close/higher to Kubota/JD who have much better brand recognition, resale value, and a killer dealer network compared to them... I'm not sure why I would choose Kioti over the other two. IMO, the Deere has a much superior drive-over deck than the other two, as well as by far the best dealer network/parts availability/etc... which. The Kubota is ever so slightly weaker in the specs than the other two, but the single connection loader valve is nice.

I think I'm going to cross Kioti off.

/ Time for a new lawn & garden tractor! (SCUT) #9  
Sounds to me that you have made up your mind, John Deere. Bob

I'm actually leaning towards the Kubota right now :)